Recently I have built some dioramas for fantasy miniatures. But what about S-F ones? I always wanted to create futuristic setting for my figures. So here it is – inspired by Aliens movies dark interior of spaceship or space base/colony. I did not want to create neat environment like in Star Trek. I wanted it to look like something terrible just happened there (or is going to happen quite soon). Like Alien infestation or visit of “friendly” Predators. To construct it I used pieces of plain plastic sheets and elements from Mantic Games Deadzone scenery. They did not have any skulls sculpted like GW ones 😉 After assembly I filled all the gaps with Milliput. Then I primed it and sprayed with base colors. After that there was a lot of drybrushing and washing. There was also a lot of “cleaning” of overspray (although I used masking tape to separate floor and walls), as well as painting scratches and rust marks. In the end I applied some leftover transfer sheets from various models. To make it more interesting I also painted yellow-black stripes in the front and red lighting using airbrush. The doors are removable. All of that took me much more than I anticipated and I didn’t want to spend any more time on that. Overall I am glad that it’s finally finished and IMHO it looks quite decent.
I will treat it mostly as a display board for my S-F miniatures, like Aliens vs Predator from Prodos Games. The whole board is 37 x 30 cm – just to fit into my Ikea Detolf display cabinet. And there is enough place to park my M577 Armoured Personnel Carrier 🙂
Finally I painted ruined altair – one of 3D Bases from Manorhouse Workshop. After filling air bubbles with Milliput I glued some static grass (not too much, just for diversion). Then I primed it with dark grey Vallejo polyurethane primer and then airbrushed with shades of beige and light greys. I wanted to make it quite light color. Actually airbrushing made 80% of paintjob and shading. After applying some darklining between stone tiles I drybrushed it with almost white (trying not to overdo it). The last stage was applying some brownish pigments in random places. That’s it! With relatively little work I got really nice diorama, perfect for RPG games or just better presentation of my miniatures.
What is a better way of making the terrain alive than adding some miniatures!
Mage accompanied by a group of warriors entered the abbey ruins to get rid of lustful deamonettes.
I painted one starter set from Modular Underground Project – 3D Dungeon Wargame Terrain. This plastic terrain is really cool and with some little work you can build unique and realistic looking dungeon. The set contains 10x10cm floor tiles and 6cm high walls. Some walls are solid and some have spaces that can be filled with different inserts – solid walls, doors or steel gates. You can leave them unfilled to get nice arches. The build options are almost infinite, so each time your dungeon can be different.
The pieces in the box are already cut from the sprues, so all you have to do is to perform a little cleaning and glue 2-part walls. I used Revell plastic glue with needle. The plastic is hard and the glue does not melt it enough, so the bond is not extra strong. One wall felt from my table to the floor and split to 2 halves. So if you want really strong bond, use super glue.
After cleaning and assembly I washed all the parts with warm water with soap and primed it with grey Vallejo airbrush primer. After that I sprayed the walls with brown-red paint and floor with beige one. This way I got dungeon with stone floor and brick walls, which looks interesting. Later I applied wash of dark brown, but before that I painted some bricks and floor tiles in different color for diversified look. When the wash dried, I drybrushed the elements with lighter shades of base color. That’s it! I used really basic techniques and thanks to well sculpted surface I received quite nice effect.
Here is my so-far small dungeon with figures and accessories – it really came alive and looks even better.
Goblin-occupied dungeon – just waiting for brave adventurers!
So far I painted just one Oblivion starter set. I have 4 more left, not counting KS frebies which in my case are more than 2 extra sets. I can build really complex dungeon. If only I had enough space to display it 🙂