Frog is not a first creature that comes to your mind when you think about courageous knight, but this little fellow can surprise you.
It is also my first figure from Dark Sword Miniatures. The miniature was cast as single piece model with a bit of terrain. The quality was really nice and I will consider painting more minis from this manufacturer in future.
I like to paint models from Dark Sword Miniatures, and this one was no exception. I had to re-interpret it a bit to make it different, but I think you got used to this approach with me… 😉
Officially the miniature represents Tam Lin, a character from a Scottish ballad, and is very nice in itself. Unfortunately there has already been an official paintjob for this model, done by Jessica Rich, to there was no use going for the original concept.
So I came up with my own concept for the model, making it The Autumn Miniature. I turned the horse into a landing pegasus and made it a bit more dynamic.
I hope the concept is interesting enough as I really enjoyed working on this model (convrting, painting all the freehands, etc). I finished it in early 2017, but somehow didn’t find time to post it here yet.
While packing a box of miniatures, I noticed a miniature that I was sure to have seen posted here, and to my surprise I was wrong. It was a model of Terpsichore that I painted months ago, and I think we’ll blame at all on Mahon and move on to the miniature itself. 😉
Now for those who are not familiar with Greek mythology, Terpsichore was the muse of dance. The miniature doesn’t show this aspect of the character too much, as the model is pretty static, so I decided to paint her my own way.
As you can see, my interpretation is completely different to what Jessica Rich showed on her paintjob presented on the Dark Sword Miniatures store page. While hers is much closer to what one might expect a Greek muse to look like, I turned her into an almost demonic being.
The thing I wanted to play with this time was the fabric of her clothes. I tried some patterns and decorations there (most of what’s going on there is actually freehand painted on the clothes – compare it to the original if you are curious), and generally kept her clothes dark. It helped in concealing some imperfections of the casting, but also this alone would make her look so very different than what the original concept art seems to suggest:
I don’t know if I will be painting any more of these muses, but they were fun to paint, so if I have a chance I will most likely not say ‘no’…