Aranelthemithra completed pieces

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
aranelthemithra

Aranelthemithra completed pieces

Post by aranelthemithra »

So this is the first piece I have put in the "final" category. This was a piece I painted for a small little painting contest to celebrate the anniversary of our local GW.

I think this piece demonstrates where I have improved, but also highlights where I need more work.

Before I self-critique, I will post the images.

ImageClick to see full-sized image

This was the first time I really tried to do blending which you can see on the staff specifically, but there is definitely plenty throughout the model.

The skin was the tanned skin tone triad from Reaver which I was trying for the first time. It's definitely tanned. I think it ended up too dark.

It was also the first time I tried painting gems - the two on the staff were too flat and not enough contrast, the one in the head band (in the detail) had more contrast and close up looked pretty good, but I think it needs just more contrast still.

Eyes weren't good... and I think overall, the contrast of colours in the clothes was getting there, but sadly I sort of used the clothes to figure out the blending I wanted to use on the staff, so the blending isn't that great or smooth and I could see brush strokes more than I wanted.

Overall, I was happy with the piece, it was attractive, looked great in the little contest lineup. I could have painted more basically and stuck with what I knew, but I was happy overall with the outcome of trying so many different things and having a moderate amount of success.

One thing that did annoy me was that the vallejo "matt" varnish even when applied pretty thin made the whole thing really pretty shiny and that was sad.

Any criticisms and thoughts would be appreciated.

I am also posting my next piece in WIP and it's a WHOLE different animal. So I would appreciate feedback there too because I am trying to something very different from anything I have done before.
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: Aranelthemithra completed pieces

Post by sea.man »

Sorry, but I don't see any pictures :(
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

i actualy c a Heresy online passwoed pop up - that dont help at all ..
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

Seems like heresy site got hacked or sth:
my NOD get's crazy every time I try to visit it

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!