From Khaos Bugg's desk

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
KhaosBugg

From Khaos Bugg's desk

Post by KhaosBugg »

This is my first completely finished piece :D (painted AND based) I have been putting off basing everything lol. Please let me know what you think
Skulltaker (Completely Finished) by Khaos Bugg, on Flickr

Skulltaker (Completely Finished) by Khaos Bugg, on Flickr
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Re: From Khaos Bugg's desk

Post by mahon »

hello!

if it's your first completed paintjob then it's really decent and much better than many 'first minis' from many of us here.

the most important point is that even if it's simple (some kind of dipping used for detailing?) you got the most important thing right: it's NEAT and clean

one mistake that many people make is trying complex and adcanced methods before learning to be simply neat.

the base is a nice addition to the model, remaining in the same theme and color scheme.

unfortunately the model is one of those that I dislike the most. I simply can't get myself to like it... so I am sorry but I can't tell it looks good, but it's not your fault but my opinion about the sculpt.

now one bit of advice: don't you think that some parts of the miniature (like the skulls) would look better if you applied one layer of a matt varnish over them to make them look flatter? some people like their miniatures looking glossy, but I prefer glossy finish only for selected parts (glass, gems, saliva, blood, etc.)
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

I have to agree with mahon, this looks quite good for a first mini. You show a lot of brush control and a steady hand, feel for detail. Now it's up to you to practice a lot and improve your technique.
KhaosBugg

Post by KhaosBugg »

ooo good idea. I am going to have to look for a liquid matte varnish that I can paint on. What I currently use is in an aerosol can, and I want parts of this mini to stay shiny.

Oh and Mahon, yes I do use a dip, but only after inking. It brings everything together and makes the colors stand out a bit more I think. It is the soft tone of Quickshade from The Army Painter http://usshop.thearmypainter.com/produc ... tGroupId=1 For the next model I finish painting I will take before and after dipping pics =)

Oh and it's not my first paintjob, just the first mini that I have based as well as painted. I currently have a unit of daemonettes (painted them first then skulltaker), a few painted seekers, a couple bloodletters, and an awesome herald of slaanesh all painted but not based.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

yeah, that's how I understood it - first *complete* miniature from you

and there are quite a few decent brush-on varnishes. vallejo has a good one, testors, model masters, and quite a few brands used by military modelers

just remember that a coat of flat varnish will literally FLATTEN your paintjob. it will lose some of its contrast, so you have to go a bit over-the-top before varnishing or apply corrections later.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
KhaosBugg

Post by KhaosBugg »

Ok, so I took your advice, and used a glaze to dull all the areas that I did not want to be shiny. =) I love the results. I'm sorry I haven't posted for so long, but here is a blast of new models to make up for it XD

Skulltaker

Skulltaker by Khaos Bugg, on Flickr

Skulltaker by Khaos Bugg, on Flickr
KhaosBugg

Post by KhaosBugg »

Flesh Hounds of Khorne
Yeah these are chaos warhounds models, but I am using them for flesh hounds.

Flesh Hound by Khaos Bugg, on Flickr

KhaosBugg

Post by KhaosBugg »

Bloodletters
I have 2 of these done, but now I am thinking about redoing the swords... I found a powersword tutorial a while back (it actually might have been somewhere on this website), and I want to try it. I will post the first bloodletter that I finish with the "powersword look", and we will see which looks better.

Bloodletter by Khaos Bugg, on Flickr

KhaosBugg

Post by KhaosBugg »

Oh, and that is an Imperial Guard helmet in the blood that one of the flesh hounds is jumping over. It is painted to match the uniforms of my boyfriend's scout units XD
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

helo :)
good thaey are no more so glossy
but - dont paint black with black paint ... that mey seams awkard but thats true
if you start with black ther is no way you will shade that - it is alrdy black so you mey only highlight that , but when you do that you get at best Grey but usualy dirty
wich is bad

so my advic when going for black -start from somthig brighter a grey ? / or other neutral muted color - then using well watereddown paint using glazes - darken desired area - thats much better way :)
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/