What kind of materials do you use?

What good is a nice miniature if you don't know how to show it?
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

What kind of materials do you use?

Post by Skrit »

Humnn... Don't know if this is the right place for it so feel free to move it to another place if you will...

I have a few questions...

1.What brands of paint do you use?

I use Citadel and Vallejo's. But heard that there are a few others out there who are supposedly worth checking out.

2.What kind of Brushes do you use?

I use GW brushes and some cheap ones I don't know the brand of, but they're quite the value for money! I'm thinking in investing in Windsor and Newton series 7 brushes but man are they expensive! :shock: Also a brand named Rembrandt is supposed to be really good. (and expensive...)

3. What kind of basing materials?

For standard miniatures I use fine sand with larger stones mixed through it and static grass. Also cork on some. For showcase models I also use cork, slate, rocks made from modelling putty etc... I just invested in some foliage, forrest litter, Ivy, snow and muck. Bought some resin treestumps too! :D

These questions are for starters but I'm bound to come up with a few more!

I ask these questions to find out what other people use and to see if I can use the hopefully newly mentioned stuff too. :D
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

RE: What kind of materials do you use?

Post by mahon »

Vallejos, but also a few old Citadels, and Pactra, and oils for shading/weathering tanks

Kozlowski or Kolibri brushes - good price/quality ratio

Anything I can find - gravel, sand, static grass, cork, broken glass (one of Ana's favorites), pebbles, etc.
Last edited by mahon on 5 Aug 2005, o 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

1) I use a mixture of Vallejo, GW, Reaper, Goldin, and Folk art paints.

2) Brushes are W&N sereis 7, GW, Nelson, and a couple of other lesser quality for drybrushing and mixing.

3) Anything I can get my grubby little paws on is fair game!!! ;)
ToMaZ
Expects too much, too

Post by ToMaZ »

I use Vallejo, GW and I have found a store that sells reaper paints, so I'll be trying those soon too :)

Currently I use Talens and sometimes Rembrandts. The Talens are not really expensive and work fine. I have Rembrandts but I rarely use them for mini painting (I use them for school tasks which involve painting) They are really good brushes, but when you buy them, be sure that you buy the ones made for acrylic paints ;) And they are expensive yes. I've noticed that I enjoy painting a lot more with some decent brushes.

I use stuff that I find outside, all types of "natural" stuff. Like woodchips, bark, slate,... And static grass. I try to buy only the stuff that I can't find outside. Like woodland scenic's real water (quite expensive)
For regiment bases I use sand, grass and sometimes some woodbark to resemble a rock. On bigger bases I use more bark, sometimes I add water or a swamp. Depends on the mini :) I'm planning on using some plasticard too to create some industrial bases.

Questions answered ;)
---ToMaZ---

Try honesty...
frodoz

Re: RE: What kind of materials do you use?

Post by frodoz »

1. Humbrol enamel paints - don't use them:!: they are beyond hope! They have only two advantages - low price :roll: and nice matt final effect. I heard some gossip about humbrol acylic paint's and I must check them.

2. Lineo, Kolinsky, Kozlowski

3. Sand and flock. Sometimes GS.
endrem

RE: Re: RE: What kind of materials do you use?

Post by endrem »

1. Vallejos and GW only at the moment. I was also thinking of checking out some other brands but I have already a good amount of paints so I don't really need more.

2. I normally buy my brushes in artists' stores. Some have names some don't. I normally go there and just have a look around until I find what I like. Lately I bought some Windsor & Newton brushes too. They are excellent, but quite expensive. I do not use GW brushes (too low quality), apart from the drybrush series.

3. As everyone said: collect what you can, there will be a use for every little thing :-). I have on top of that a good selection of different flocks and grasses, plus I bought once about 4-5 bags of different sized sand and little stones for aquariums at the local pet store. That was around 2-3 euros altogether and will be enough for approximately 100 years :-).
Slawek

Post by Slawek »

1. I use GW at the moment but I want to use a Valejo paint just as my Master Mahon

2 I use Kolibri brushes (Kolinski)

3. In local pet store you should found a small sand for chinchillas (smal creature from which you can make anexspensive fur). Thats my tip for very quality sand (its like a powder). One bag its more than 1 kg, cost like one Euro and "will be enough for approximately 100 years"

As to the more advanced material - bitz even from toys and plasticard
+ lots of creavity
Padawan Slawek
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

Great info guys, I've heard about the pet store having some handy materials before so I'm off to find out if I can find some too! :D

I agree a lot of materials can be found outside, I even had a dead plant once who had dried out. I cut of some of his branches and they are great as treestumps and branches! :)
scarabstudio

Post by scarabstudio »

Paints I use citadel and vallejo. Thinking about trying out Adiken and Reapers, heard good things about both. Ceramacoat or folk art craft paints for bases and scenery

Brushes I use Windsor and Newton series 7, some citadel, and I have one Rapheal size 0. A great brush, similar to windsor, but cheaper.

Basing materials, anything and everything

Also I have a cordless Dremel, various files, clippers, sculpting tools, hot glue gun, drill, power saw, pin vises, etc etc etc

Tyler
SirAlban

Post by SirAlban »

A little question, what mate varnish you recomend?

Im a bit scare whit the varnish, and if it can makes a lots of work hours goes to trashcan.
if you recomend a good mark i will be very grateful.