WIP Chaos Warrior - Suggestions?

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
Wraithlord

WIP Chaos Warrior - Suggestions?

Post by Wraithlord »

Here is a Warrior I am working on right now and I would like to get some opinions and suggestions as to how it is looking and what I might do to improve it before I get too far along.

ImageClick to see full-sized imageImageClick to see full-sized image

I still wish to go for the more gritty and realistic look that I did with my Exalted Hero but would like for this dude to pop a bit more than the rest as he is the champion after all.
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

RE: WIP Chaos Warrior - Suggestions?

Post by arctica »

Hmm as a few points, firstly the wooden shaft of the weapon you could do a wood grain effect on it painted on. The metal highlights could be blended better and more contrast would be better, i think it would greatly improve the look of the model. Maybe the skin tones could be different to help give contrast to the whole model since all the colours are very similar.

One point to make the model pop is that the cloak could have a nice bit of freehand done to it and maybe a different colour too. A simple thing too is to make his base slightly different so he may seem taller etc.

I know you said you wanted a gritty feel to your model but consider looking at CMON - Automaton's work, he has a gritty feel to his metallics but amazing contrast, i often look at his work and it makes me want to try my hand at metallics.

These are just my thoughts im sure others can offer more helpful comments for you.
LittleDave

Post by LittleDave »

I would agree with pushing the highlights a bit. I think the color choices on the character are all too similar, so it all blends together without a good focal point. I would go with either some sharp gold/bronze highlights or possibly change the figure's skin color to create some contrast.
Wraithlord

Post by Wraithlord »

I am planning on doing the shield in between the chaos symbol and the weapon face in a lava/flame style effect so hopefully that will provide a bit more contrast as well. I do agree that the colours are blending together a fair bit, most notably to me in the thigh/knee area of the armour. Still a wip though so it is something easily changed thankfully. The cloak will also be in a red colour similar to the wrapping on the weapon haft will will help break the darkness of the model (I hope :)). Freehand is definitely on the cards for the cloaks, just not entirely sure of myself in that area at all so I am totally undecided in where to go with it.
firstly the wooden shaft of the weapon you could do a wood grain effect on it painted on
Not wood at all, the entire thing is metallic. Boltgun for the main shaft, tin bitz up to bronze on the upper portion. You think it would look better if I gave the shaft of the weapon a wood look?
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

well for a start - I'd finish the base if I were you ^^
I think some highlight on boots' edges should look really nice - right now they somehow melt with the armour :think:
as for metalics - you can paint stronger highlight OR make shadows even darker - anyway strong contrast almost always looks nice :)
and as or the demonic weapon - you've already mentioned you're gonna turn it into lava so I'm waiting to see the results :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Wraithlord

Post by Wraithlord »

Alright, now that I am back to work and not laid off my painting time has been reduced drastically. However, here are a few more pics to show the progress on the model. I gave him blond hair and tried to lighten the skin tones a bit, added the lava style effect to the weapon and shield, and painted the fur on the cap. Keeping in mind some of the other advice I got here about lighting I have tried to give it a go and keep lower areas a bit darker, even on the fur by leaving the top of the shoulders a bit brighter than the lower parts of the cape. Oh and I added a small bit of highlighting to the boots just for you Demi :)

Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

I like the lava/fire effect on the shield. Care to share your recipe, Wraithlord?
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

Its looking great, one point to add is that on the shoulder pad the metal transition could be smoother i think. But i actually like the blonde hair but its a bit too yellow imo. The effect on the shield is nice i think it helps define the model a bit, i particularly like the way you've done his boots. Oh one last thing i think you could possibly make a cleaner job on the weapon blade, i think it needs to be a little smoother but all in all great job and he's getting there.
Wraithlord

Post by Wraithlord »

Sorry Nameless for the late reply. I did a power weapon tutorial over at Heresy Online that will tell you how I did the lava effect. Only difference between it and this model is that the effect here is done with stippling

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/sho ... php?t=6438
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

thx! it looks better on the above shield though :)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================