arkham horror - board game

Do you still remember that some people use miniatures for gaming?
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

arkham horror - board game

Post by Demi_morgana »

the previous weekend I purchased arkham horror board game:
this thing has been tempting me for a loong time and as devoted CoC fan* I just couldn't resist any day longer :mrgreen:
although before I spent my money (over $60 according to the latest US $ value in poland) I gathered some information about the game - I haven't found a single bad review about it!
moreover the game was recommended by our dear admin so there was absolutely no choice to me - I just HAD to get it** :twisted:

in the box I found lots of cards and tokens, dieces and large board - everything was decorated with beautiful draws and everything is very sturdy (therefore resistant to damages caused by many sleepless night of gaming)

so far we had only 2 games - in both me and my concubine have been devoured by the ancient ones (on sunday it was azathoth, last night - nyarlathotep, although it was very close to seal the last gate and send back the great ancient one where it belongs)

if You still haven't bought x-mas gift and You like gaming - I think arkham horror can be great choice - I'm sure I didn't waste any single $ spent... and today we'll try to kick ancient one's a$$ once again!!! :D

*IA, IA, IA, PRAISE YE OLD GODS!!! :pray:
**HEIL CTHULHU, HEIL THE ETERNAL SLEEPER!!! :metal:

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

RE: arkham horror - board game

Post by mahon »

yep, this one is fun. if you want to have fun with it prepare for several hours of playing (3-4), and the best experience is with 3-4 characters

and if you want to have a more RPG-like experience I strongly recommend the "stormknight variant". game gets slightly slower, longer - so you can develop your characters, and tension is placed in a different way (closing gates without sealing actually makes sense there). but prepare for a longer game :)
Last edited by mahon on 18 Dec 2007, o 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Bexley
Usually in a hurry

Post by Bexley »

The Kingsport expansion comes out in just a month or two. :wink:
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

aye, and i still haven't got the second and third expansion... :(
-- Mahoń

Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

as for me I'm gonna get other expansions after x-mas - the game brings me memories of CoC rpg sessions 'till the very morning :cry:
and also motivates me to paint some more CoC character I have in my cablot so they can be used instead od paper character markers :D

@Bexley: isn't it too late in states for posting now? :razz:

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Bexley
Usually in a hurry

Post by Bexley »

Naw. It's only 3am. I still have an hour until bedtime. ;)
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

perfect hour to start confrontation against great ancient ones ^^

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

last evening we finally managed to defeat one of the great ancient ones: ithaqua wasn't really hard to "kill" but otoh how can he be compared to such gods like azathoth, cthulhu or nyarlathotrep? :metal:
Last edited by Demi_morgana on 27 Dec 2007, o 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

the 'fast' great old ones like Yig or Ithaqua are the few where it's nearly impossible to win by closing/sealing gates so you need to fight them.

otherwise we don't consider fighting a GOO and winning a real success. the full success is when we can prevent it from coming to Arkham. otherwise it's just the lesser evil...
-- Mahoń

Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

mahon wrote:otherwise we don't consider fighting a GOO and winning a real success. the full success is when we can prevent it from coming to Arkham. otherwise it's just the lesser evil...
I also enjoy closing gates much more than confronting zee ancient one :)
but then again - while I was the keeper of secrets* I had NO occasion to confront ancient gods so now there's my chance :D

*these bastards** had never given me opportunity to play, I was always the keeper
** my players :mrgreen:

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!