I still want to improve my painting.

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
huitzilopochtli

Re: I still want to improve my painting.

Post by huitzilopochtli »

Hey everyone. Been a while and unfortunately haven't painted much in the interim. Hoping this year will be different. Working on some stuff for golden demon right now but thought I'd share this, painted a few months ago.

ImageClick to see full-sized image

Hope you like it. Will be putting up some more stuff soon I hope.

Oh, and sorry for the crappy pics. Never did get much handier with a camera.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

very nice! smooth, clean, good contrast.
not sure about the skin shade (close-up only), pinkish shield (pink? come on... ;)), and blade (doesn't look like metal, doesn't look like magic weapon, doesn't shine...)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

The sword isn't that nice and I much prefer other elements like free hand or golden armour.
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
huitzilopochtli

First off, thanks to everyone for commenting in my WIP thread. I tried to make the most of your input and I definitely think it made a difference. Anyway, here are my GD pieces (still using phone camera sadly but should have a new one soon). I'd really like to be a finalist tomorrow but having seen some of the competition I realise I've still a way to go.

(Please bear in mind they "pop" a little more than the camera seems to be able to pick up.)

I hope you like them. Wish me luck. :) And thanks again.
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

bases .. bases they could be sooooooo much better
- they stand out quite bit from over all minature painting .
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
huitzilopochtli

Yeah. Seeing them beside all the others and I really wish I'd put more time into the bases. My main notes from the experience:

Bases NEED more work and will be the focus of my next few models. I've still got links I think you gave me before Maru which will be really helpful.
Models are too bright. I'm going to toy with black undercoat for a while and when I switch back to white, focus more on shading.
Actually placing is well within reach if I can address these issues. Next year a slayer sword (because aim big or go home 8))!

In the meantime both models made finalist and I'm very happy about that. Thank you again everyone that's helped me get this far. I couldn't have done it without you. :mrgreen:
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

great news! congratulations :clap:
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

Models are too bright. I'm going to toy with black undercoat for a while and when I switch back to white, focus more on shading.
heh
forget about that
start with 2 color base coat made with zenital light - this will alrdy set shadows and light correct - and save a lot of time

secound off
start as a base color with first highlight - then shade and after shades add final highlight :P - faster then starting from "base" then highlightning and shading :D

o and Congrats - BASES -____-
huitzilopochtli

Hi all!

Been a while since I was here. Unfortunately college and life got in the way and I haven't been painting a lot of better pieces for a while, but I thought I'd share with you my latest: Wurrzag!

I entered him at golden demon this year - due to poor planning on my part, he was my only entry - and he made finalist but didn't place. Finishing him off was something of a rush job and if I'd given myself a little more time there are areas I could have done better, but that said I'm pretty proud of him.

And thanks again to everyone who has commented and criticized for me here. Couldn't have come this far without you. :mrgreen:
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

o hello :)
i was a a bit offline due to live and other strange stuff :P
but BTT
base - i like it but it is not a scenic base in GD i would go For "better base" like a scenic base on pintha
the inner layer of leather he is wearing - as shading is smoth and nice - it is boring - a signs or wethering , scraches or coulor spots from dirt , sun or other sources could add a detailing and bring up notes from judges
mor or less this atricle
http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ather.html

the cut of heads - they just melds with roots - not to good composicion
red leather on his back - make me feel he is caind of autumn shaman - but lacks other colour from rusty / gold autumn palette - a but off composicion whise :)

chers