ImageClick to see full-sized image
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: sea.man`s Iyanden Eldar

Post by sea.man »

I have been working quite hard and long to get the yellow I wanted. Here are the results.
The first pictures shows yellow with shading, the second with few layers of highlights. The armory will next be edged with white.
miniatures painted:
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

First Dire Avenger is finished :dance: Next 4 are almost done :) I was trying to be as consequent in my painting scheme as possible. It isn`t standard Iyanden - I have changed it a bit :angel:
What do you think?
miniatures painted:
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

sea.man in my eldar thread wrote:This must be speedpainted mini, did you only use two colors for the armor? The white could be given some simple shadows
:curtain:

nice one, can't wait to see the rest :) do it quick, perhaps I'll find motivation for my own tale again :?
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

I like it, but i think you need some dark line to separate the gems from the shoulder pads
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Nameless wrote:
sea.man in my eldar thread wrote:This must be speedpainted mini, did you only use two colors for the armor? The white could be given some simple shadows
:curtain:
I thought the blending is nice - the armour has about 5-6 layers...
miniatures painted:
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

I've never understood the painters' X-layers fetish. I don't care how many layers there are. 2, 5, 10, 500. I care about the final result.
and no, blending on that mini is not really nice, not that I'm looking for it on a gaming piece. transitions are pretty rough actually, especially on the gun.. You've already shown you can do better.
white kneepads are not shaded at all.
I'm not saying you should try to improve this one, as it's not a showcase mini. keep on painting and build your army :) It will look nice even with all the shortcuts taken
Nameless Painter Blog
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

It is obvious that painting a unit/army differs much from a single model. I am not looking for such quality in my tale here and I didn`t look for it in yours.
I just don`t get your point, why did you quote my post from your tale. As I have already explained to you I don`t think that 2 layers are enough even for average TT. We have to make a decision to make and find a compromise between having a painted army in a reasonable time - I think you took too big short cuts on whole miniatures and not single elements. You are a good painter, I like your minis, but this time (or rather that time) I made a constructive comment what could be improved. I make nitpicking in threads where (I hope) you are looking for detailed criticism.
Talking about the layers is not my fetish. Even on mine crappy photos I see a difference in both armies and that is why I think my comment on your tale is not adequate to mine.
miniatures painted:
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

czlowiek.morze wrote:I just don`t get your point, why did you quote my post from your tale.
because I don't agree with you that
czlowiek.morze wrote:my comment on your tale is not adequate to mine
quite the opposite, I think that this comment is perfectly suitable for your dire avenger.
This must be speedpainted mini, did you only use two colors for the armor? The white could be given some simple shadows
you dire avenger looks like a speed painted mini. I don't mind it, I know it's a TT trooper, not showcase general. still, blending is almost non-existent, transitions pretty rough at places. no matter how many layers you painted, and how much time you spent on it - it looks like a speed painting (which, let me repeat, is perfectly acceptable for army minis).

two colours - ok, you mentioned armour, but check guns on your mini. Are there more than two colours? I can't see them.

white colour - check avenger's knee or shoulder pads and tell me if there is shading on it.

I believe I've proven that your comment could be used to describe the presented mini.

peace and love sea.man, ToG is just a fun project, so don't take everything so seriously :) especially comments with special emoticons after them :)
Nameless Painter Blog