WFRPG 2nd Edition

Do you still remember that some people use miniatures for gaming?
Kenneth

WFRPG 2nd Edition

Post by Kenneth »

Yes, after about 20 years a new edition of WFRPG! Problem is, what most of us old timers love has been emasculated!

What's that, you say? If you remember the dark, gritty background world that makes the background for the Fantasy Battles game look like a happy place full of sunshine and light (and silliness in some cases) stick with the _old_ WHFRPG background. The background of WFRPG has been bowdlerized so the game will meet the standards of munchkin mommies.

Given that, the rules are more streamlined and balanced. The old magic system got the boot, and the new one is much better.

If you love the background of the old rules and supplements graft the new rules provided by the second ed. onto them for an even better game, but the dark, disturbing days of 1st Ed. WFPRG are well and truly banished from the halls of the Games Workshop.

Game on!

Kenneth
endrem

RE: WFRPG 2nd Edition

Post by endrem »

Oh... doesn't sound too promising. WFRPG was my favourite role playing system. I myself haven't had the chance to have a look into the book, but my firends told me it was not as bad as you described. The rules have been changed, that was to be expected, but the overall feeling stayed, they said. I can't wait to get my hands on the book and see it for myself...
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

Well, in that case I'll just keep using the old books with minor tweaks here and there and use the new magic system! (if possible...)
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

to be honest we never used all wfrp rules - we took the world and the atmosphere and the rest was improvised... :roll: ;)
thx for the warning Kenneth :D

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, there is very little background material in the rule book compared to the 1st ed.

They've moved up the time line and everything extant in the WH Battle game is taken as a given. I reckon they are trying to keeps as much as the old feel as they can given the difference in tone between the 1st Ed. and the current Fantasy Battle world while solving any incongruities between the two, but it still has a 'written for the Munchkin crowd' feel to it that set's my teeth on edge.

I've been waiting and hoping for a revival of the old gothic 'the Old (darkness and corruption) World' feel that ironically seems more prevalent in 40K which started out as more of a fun spoof, or it's almost-RP spin off: =][= in all the current and future Warhammer Fantasy based games.

The bright spots are the new magic system and the new balance between the various careers. No longer will everyone want to start of as a Ratcatcher, for instance. :)

The GM rolls a die and says <Write TR in the upper right hand corner of your character sheet.>
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

what you wrote made me think more about the 2nd edition...
I loved the original WFRP, we played it a lot, and enjoyed it vastly.

It is the background what makes WFRP so cool... and when they tried to align Bretonnia with WFB I cringed in fear :O Then there were the Realms of Sorcery... Ok...

And the 2nd edition seems like what I really expected - the general overhaul of rules. But I am afraid of what the fluff will look like... Won't it become too childish? Too gentle, too mild, to high-fantasy?

It was cool because it was feel of darkness, evil, filled with sour humour, hints, etc.

But what now? And there's little fluff in the main book... Is it good or bad?
I don't need the new background if it's gonna be the fairytale-style fluff they tried to sell us. I need no shiny Bretonnia, and no lizardmen. I've always preferred amazons, pygmies, and some surviving degenerated slann.

Anyway - I *WILL* buy the book, even if only for the love of WFRP :)
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

How did it go with the new book, Mahon?

I just checked out the official WHFB site today and they have scads of race focused books out... gah, just the typical post '90 GW money grab marketing mentality. :P

K.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

never played it, Kenneth. I enjoyed browsing it and a few supplements though. I wish I was younger and had more time for my hobbies...

Haven't played any RPG for years... On the other hand, I managed to play some quasi-RPG wargames... but it's another story. :P

BTW how are you doing, Kenneth? Haven't seen you here for months. Great to see you again :clap:
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

role playing games...
I wonder if I ever play it again? :cry:

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

Demi, I know, that you live far away - but feel free to come to my place. We'll organize a gaming weekend here :) rpg, table-tops, beer...
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================