Any opinion on warmachine and WFB?

Do you still remember that some people use miniatures for gaming?
Hosea

Any opinion on warmachine and WFB?

Post by Hosea »

Dear all,

Um, I have been playing Warhammer fantasy battle a while (5 months?) and somehow I did not find it as fun and enjoyable as my other HK gamers describe. Well, I will still keep it gong on my High Elf army painting; but now, as I joined this forum and my horizon has been greatly widen by you guys, now I am thinking to paint some or even learn to play warmachine, but I know nothing about the rules of it. Can anyone tell me your opinion on WFB and warmachine?
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

RE: Any opinion on warmachine and WFB?

Post by Demi_morgana »

I have some warmachine stuff - we want to start playing this game but we discovered necromunda...
this is really great game and I can honestly recommend it to You :D it's MUCH more enjoyable than wfb and wh40k together...
You can PM LadyEyes or ToMaZ about necromunda - they play this game :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Gottkaiser

Post by Gottkaiser »

You just can't compare the two. WHFB is an army game, based on regiments in tight formation. Warmachine is a skrimish game with only small units.
I personnally don't like Warmachine any more, but that is personal taste.
Basing half of the army (the jacks and himself) on one Guy made it necessary to make these guys really tough, so they are imvao much harder then Chars in WHFB. Using only 2/3 dice makes it easier to loose a game due to lousy dice rolls or win by them. The mass of dices used in WHFB level this much better.
In addition, WM always comes up with new units. Where a Fantasy army gets its army book and is done, all WM fractions get additions through the No Quarter Magazine. Thus you always have to keep up with the new stuff, as I think the new stuff does get harder.
But above all this, I dislike the attitude in this game. They explicitly allow everything the rules give you, no matter, how strange it may be. Being able to accept that, I had to find out that those, who call WM a game for tough guys (and girls), always start whining first when you choose to sacrifice your own troops for sth.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

If you want to use your WFB models for gaming and heve much more fun with it, check Mordheim (http://www.mordheim.com) or Ares (http://www.mj12games.com/ares/)

both can be downloaded for free and I really like them both. Mordheim uses the cool Warhammer world and atmosphere, while Ares breaks the IGO-UGO way of playing and introduces some battle chaos. It's also a very generic, open, and customizable game.

And you'll see your minis can still give you mich fun :)
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
ToMaZ
Expects too much, too

Re: RE: Any opinion on warmachine and WFB?

Post by ToMaZ »

Demi_morgana wrote: You can PM LadyEyes or ToMaZ about necromunda - they play this game :)
Not true... :P I play warmachine.

Well, I play warmachine intensively and I love the game. It's hard, fast and most of all fun. What Gottkaiser says is true, they keep releasing new units, but they are not needed to create a fun army. These new units that are represented in the No Quarter Magazine, will all be featured in the new expansion.

The game plays like this:

you choose your warcaster, choose a couple of warjacks, some infantry... and you try to smash your opponent as hard as you can and make him love you for it ;)

If you want a long slow battle with lots of dice and when you screw something up, you'll still be able to win somehow, go for warhammer.
If you want a fast battle, where all can be over in the second turn, where you have to search for great combo's, where every move matters or you'll end up dead... go for warmachine.

All you need to play your first game of warmachine is the battle box. There is one for eacht faction. It contains around 300 points and the starters rules. Get some dice and start playing.
---ToMaZ---

Try honesty...
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: RE: Any opinion on warmachine and WFB?

Post by Demi_morgana »

ToMaZ wrote:
Demi_morgana wrote: You can PM LadyEyes or ToMaZ about necromunda - they play this game :)
Not true... :P I play warmachine.
:bonk: I meant warmachine :bonk:
looks like it's high I should stop thinking about necromunda all the time :roll:

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

RE: Re: RE: Any opinion on warmachine and WFB?

Post by Skrit »

Hey Hosea, I guess we're both gonna try it out then!:D (Warmachine that is!)