Okay, mission: impossible.

You need inspiration, ideas? Not a WIP yet but still in a concept stage? Come here!
aranelthemithra

Okay, mission: impossible.

Post by aranelthemithra »

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is the following:

A small little painting contest at the local GW store celebrating it's anniversary. The timeline is a week from Saturday, the window of painting started yesterday. I picked this model...

ImageClick to see full-sized image

She's small, intricate and should I do a good job, will be able to look beautiful.

Basing will not be considered as part of the contest, so I figure I will just do sprouty plants and such to compliment the molded part of the base.

So...

Here's where I need inspiration.

I need a new hair colour. The white/blue doesn't do it for me.

I am thinking autumn colours, so perhaps a dark red/brown for the hair. But with green clothing we are starting to look a little christmas-y.

I am not sure if I want to attempt a transition in the robes from one colour to another. That would be ideal, but its also not particularly easy. Therefore, we are looking for two nice colours in combination to be the robe and the cloak.

So, what colour scheme would YOU go for?

The white staff is a touch gandalf for me, so something interesting to do with that too.

Any good guides out there for painting gems well? I am thinking a watery blue is where I want to go with the gem. I think elemental themes throughout make the most sense.

What would you do colour wise with the little wood imp at the foot of the model?

This model, as is, is cleaned, trimmed and assembled and based in black with a directional burst of white base to assist me in visualizing light (it is hitting the top left (right as you look at her) part of her face). The white mist also picks out details of a black model so I can see those details clearer.

So, have you seen any amazing jobs done with this model that I could look at for inspiration. And if you were painting this, what would YOU do. Obviously free hand amazing stuff a la Ana is beyond my skill level, so I am not getting that impressive - but colour combinations, thin layers so I can really try and do a great job of smooth clothing and skin, and good execution of the details such as face and gem are my goals for this particular project. Even with such a small little painting contest, I don't pretend that I expect to win, but if I can give people some pleasure from seeing what I come up with, then I am happy with that.
aranelthemithra

Re: Okay, mission: impossible.

Post by aranelthemithra »

ImageClick to see full-sized image

I am finding the purple and light green to be an attractive colour scheme, though I am not entirely sure how those would combine on my model. It also loses the elemental aspect... hmm.
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Re: Okay, mission: impossible.

Post by Hellspawn »

I would go for an autumn theme with deep browns going to fiery oranges/yellows with a pure white staff. As for the imp, I'd go either full orange (to get close to autumn theme) or something juste green, cause hey, it's a wood creature thingy