Human Frame of Reference.....How Important is it?

You need inspiration, ideas? Not a WIP yet but still in a concept stage? Come here!
tremanor

Human Frame of Reference.....How Important is it?

Post by tremanor »

OK I am bout to climb out on a limb with a project i have wanted to launch since before founding RBG. Kickstarter has me thinkign I can pull it off after all.

The first and foremost question I have is how important is the Human frame of reference?

Is it possible ( preferable ) to totally suspend your disbelief if your frame of reference is first suspended as well. Further how far do you think you coudl suspend your human frame of reference before you lose interest entirely? What I want to do is to begin building a new fantasy world where in the are no " humans ", the races are humaniod but not entirely so. A good comparison MIGHT be the Aliens of Avatar comapred to humans....... no I am NOT making " Lord of the Trees " ( though now I type it that is nto really such a bad name....Ok maybe I AM makign lord of the trees, but not so much a hippie LSD love in as a lord of the flies type of lord of the trees ) ANYWAY!! So long as the character of humanity is there is suspending the frame of reference a good idea or bad one?

The general idea is to make something REALLY different in which painters and players can REALLY let their imaginations run wild. Maybe Wierd Fantasy would be a good term for it.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Re: Human Frame of Reference.....How Important is it?

Post by Nameless »

I will like the idea for sure. I don't need human proportions or human models and that term "weird fantasy" is something that's going around my head quite often.
but... some say I have an odd taste when it comes to minis :D
also, it all depends on final result of your work. artworks, sculpts, minis... I'm sure you know well that customer's enthusiasm at this stage may turn into either success or disappointment.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================