Clowns :)

You need inspiration, ideas? Not a WIP yet but still in a concept stage? Come here!
Kenza

Clowns :)

Post by Kenza »

There has been this nagging voice in my head.
While I'm currently building my Grey Knights army and learning how to paint them.
I had the weirdest idea.
I saw some fine cast harlequins at my local hobby store and till now I have this urge to go buy them and paint them.
For me, Warhammer 40k what matters most is not stats in a codex ,but the looks of a model (Grey Knights for example) and the fluff/backstory.
I'm all about the fluff.
I just really like the back story of the harlequins,so I have plans to make a themed army, full of those clowns :D
The thing is?
I have no idea with regards to how I should go about painting them when I finally get my grabby hands on them :lol:

So based on your experience are there any techniques you can employ when painting them so that they look good on the table?(as much as I want to paint them up to display standard, one of the more experienced painters at the store told me my models looked crappy and I would be better off just base coating and leaving it as it is ... Hence I just want to learn some of the more basic stuff and work my way up from there :) )
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Re: Clowns :)

Post by Maru »

one of the more experienced painters at the store told me my models looked crappy and I would be better off just base coating and leaving it as it is .
well thats not helpful comment you mey get .... so i will try other

about base coating - black is easy but if you dont know how it encurage to skip things
White is evil end nasty but better if you whana get effect of poping out colors - but reqire a lot more work end pacience
so you whana lern more .. .
i would propouse "Goblin exorcize"
i niknamed it like that as Goblin plastic sculpt is simple end you mey usualy get it for free :P (or for extremly low cost) but is good for training - last time it whas Grebo who done that training if im not messing somthing :)

so you need to prepere mini - removing all mold lines , then base coat, then paint it clean in base colors without shading or other edvenced tech - it have to be clean as much as possible (no inks or washes)
end then we will ce next steps

ofcorse it dont need to be Goblin but other simple minature (old Rackham minatures wer nightmare to lern - totaly overloaded with details )

so choos your "Victim" for lerning purpose end we mey begin lerning proces :)
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
Kenza

Post by Kenza »

Will do, shall check out my local hobby store for any metallic models(easier to strip and repaint) to practice on.
Meantime I will continue painting up my Grey Knights.
Thanks for the tip.
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

goblins are plastic models ;)

(end like i sed you mey iven get lucky to get thous paticult model for free)
ImageClick to see full-sized image

- when you will be able paint good somthing like this 1 - you will be able to pait enything :)
Kenza

Post by Kenza »

Ok now that I've seen that picture I know what to look out for when I go down to my local store :)
Will try to find them and paint it in the base colors and post pictures of it here.
Kenza

Post by Kenza »

So I found those models you were talking about,but it was exclusive to a painting kit,which costs about $50 here.
As i had already bought a paint kit (Warhammer 40k with space marines) I may consider getting alternatives (other goblins) to paint :D
On the other hand,I managed to get myself afew Series7 kolinsky sables (size 0,00 and 1), a wet palette and micro pens to do stuff like scribbles on the purity seals.

I also discovered the store carries Vallejo paints ... :doh: Did not find it at the branch I was at due to the lack of space,but the can get stock transferred from their main store (Begone! Fast drying paint in pots :P),so I will slowly make the transition to those paints .
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

thous gobos wer once a "promo" minatures so they must run out of it :(
- eny other simple mini will do
about V paints - check them - they some times coagulate to much in thous cool bottles - so dont buy "stiff" ones
end Black from game colors is glossy like nothing - from Model cllor is good