OOP and Unreleased Necromunda minis.

You need inspiration, ideas? Not a WIP yet but still in a concept stage? Come here!
Genryu

OOP and Unreleased Necromunda minis.

Post by Genryu »

Necromunda has always been a favourite of mine, and I'm considering undertaking a new long term project over the next year or so, and painting up one of each gang.

As some of you may or may not know, Necromunda is pretty old now and a lot of the minis (Especially special characters) are now OOP and very difficult to get hold of, or they were never released.

As part of the project I would like to challenge myself, and attempt to convert a few minis to represent some of these hard to get hold of, and unreleased minis. However conversions and sculpting are both things I've never attempted, so I was hoping that I could maybe get some modelling pointers and advice or suggestions for minis that I could use (Doesnt neccessarily have to be a games workshop mini, I'm happy with any range, so long as they dont look out of place in a Necro gang).

Anyway here is a list of some of the minis I would like to attempt, and how I think I should go about them. Any suggestions welcome (Though money is tight at the moment, anything I do use will probabally be bought second hand off ebay, and paint stripped).

Bull Gorg
The Bull Gorg is a special character who was never actually released as a mini, the only official representation I can find of him is this small, poor quality image from one of the rule books:

ImageClick to see full-sized image

The Bull Gorg was a famous Pit Fighter who led a massive slave revolt. He is a behemoth of a man, with two huge chainsaws grafted onto his arms. Someone over on CMON has actually created a fantastic Bull Gorg mini, but its way beyond my skill: http://coolminiornot.com/105672

The closest mini I can find that looks like the picture, is one of the GW Ogres (I actually think that the one at CMON could have been made this way). I figured it would be a fairly simple conversion to replace its arms for a pair of chainswords. However as the Bull Gorg is actually Human (albiet a very large human), I'm not sure if he would look out of place next to other minis being so large. What do you think?

Spyrer Patriarch
The Patriarch is a now very rare and hard to get hold of Spyrer mini. Here is the best quality image I could find:

This one looks like it could be pretty tough to reproduce for someone with my limited skill, I'm not sure how I'd go about reproducing those Doc Ock style tentacles, some kind of copper wiring maybe? One thing I did find however, are the Space Marine Servitors, minus the tentacles they actually look pretty similar to the patriarch.

I also noticed that the Techpriest that sometimes comes bundled with them, has a similar backpack to the Patriarch. They are not quite tentacles, but I'm assuming that its a multipart kit and those 4 arm things are seperate to the techpriest. I'm thinking that maybe pinning the backpack to the back of a servitor would make an ok Patriach.

I'm still undecided as to how I will pull off the Patriach, I'm still not sure if I like the Servitor/Techpriest idea.

Spyrer Matriarch
Unfortunately I can only find one image of the Matriarch, its from one of the rule books, and the quality is pretty poor (Looks like an old man with a beard to me).

I'm going to need some kind of female model for this, but I'm not to sure yet which to go for. The Sisters of Battle seem a little too heavily armoured, I'm thinking of maybe using a more lithe Eldar model, but I'm still undecided. I dont think I've ever seen a chain scythe before, but I'm sure it wont be too difficult to replicate (Chain sword on a stick lol).

Ash Waste Nomads
The Ash Waste Nomads were a limited edition gang that are now incredably rare, expensive and hard to find. The only one I have ever seen sold, that was sold on Ebay several months back for some crazy amount of money. I took a copy of the sales photo at the time for future reference:

The Ash Wasters dont live in the hive cities, but out in the almost inhospitable waste lands. They are heavily robed, and some sport mutations, they also use some type of respirator. I suppose the hooded robes, give them a similar appearence to the Cawdor models, but I would prefer not to use Cawdor models for these conversions, I really dont want the Cawdor and Ashwasters looking almost identical. I'm really not sure what models I could use for these guys, any ideas?
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Re: OOP and Unreleased Necromunda minis.

Post by Nameless »

Genryu wrote:I'm not sure how I'd go about reproducing those Doc Ock style tentacles, some kind of copper wiring maybe?
guitar strings

general question - are you looking for gw minis only?
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Sounds like a very interesting project. You should consider entering our Tale of Gamers :D http://www.chestofcolors.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=68
The Bull Gorg your idea with the GW Ogre is very good and if you want to give it more a human look use only the legs and torso. I think it is the face which makes it look like an ogre.
Spyrer Patriarch Space Marine Servitors are perfect, as for the tentacles you could easily make them on your own or use metal parts which you usually find in machinery
OT:
there are few auctions at allegro (polish competition to e-bay) which may be interesting for you:
http://allegro.pl/necromunda-orrus-spyr ... 53201.html
http://allegro.pl/necromunda-malcadon-s ... 53217.html
http://allegro.pl/necromunda-yeld-spyre ... 53205.html
but I am not Necromunda expert, so I might be wrong :mrgreen:
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

I think there was one version of Bull Gorg made by John Blanche. I may be wrong, but I think I recall such a mini... Probably seen it in one of artbooks or old White Dwarf magazines...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

It is a very interesting project and i think it will be one to definitely keep watching as there are lots of ideas bouncing around here.
Genryu

Post by Genryu »

Nameless wrote:
Genryu wrote:I'm not sure how I'd go about reproducing those Doc Ock style tentacles, some kind of copper wiring maybe?
guitar strings

general question - are you looking for gw minis only?
That sounds a good idea, they naturally have that ridged effect of the tenticles. Firstly forive me, I have no experience with Guitar strings, and Im pretty clueless, they made as hollow coils of wire arent they? I'm guessing I'll have to thread some stiff wire through them to stop them being floppy?

As for minis, nope I'm happy with any range of mini, so long as they fit in with, and dont look out of place next to the standard Necro minis.
czlowiek.morze wrote:Sounds like a very interesting project. You should consider entering our Tale of Gamers :D http://www.chestofcolors.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=68
The Bull Gorg your idea with the GW Ogre is very good and if you want to give it more a human look use only the legs and torso. I think it is the face which makes it look like an ogre.
Spyrer Patriarch Space Marine Servitors are perfect, as for the tentacles you could easily make them on your own or use metal parts which you usually find in machinery
OT:
there are few auctions at allegro (polish competition to e-bay) which may be interesting for you:
http://allegro.pl/necromunda-orrus-spyr ... 53201.html
http://allegro.pl/necromunda-malcadon-s ... 53217.html
http://allegro.pl/necromunda-yeld-spyre ... 53205.html
but I am not Necromunda expert, so I might be wrong :mrgreen:
To be honest, I had never even looked at the tale of gamers until now. Interesting little thread, I think I'll be spending some more time on there later on :D

As for those auctions I actually already have those minis, I picked them up cheap and poorly painted several months ago, ready to strip and repaint. But thanks, now if only I could speak Polish lol.
mahon wrote:I think there was one version of Bull Gorg made by John Blanche. I may be wrong, but I think I recall such a mini... Probably seen it in one of artbooks or old White Dwarf magazines...
You are probabally right, I know that there were a lot of minis were sculpted, but never put into full scale production. You can usually find images of them in magazines and various publications. Off the top of my head there were the female ratskins, and the joker esque Brat gang.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

I think it was a conversion. He did quite much Necromunda stuff. I remember being so envious about these stludio guys having access to all the bits which would be too expensive for me at the moment.... It was beyond my imagination to buy a model because I needed one part like a weapon from it. And they had access to all the stuff without having to buy all the blisters... :D
-- Mahoń

sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

@mahon
even if you had such an access, would you have time to glue it together and then to paint it? ;)
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

not now, but I am talking about years ago, in my early miniature-hobby days
-- Mahoń

arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

back in the 60s? 8)