Building the dream painting desk

You need inspiration, ideas? Not a WIP yet but still in a concept stage? Come here!
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Building the dream painting desk

Post by Corvus »

Okay so as some of you might know I'm going to move to another, bigger house real soon. There's one bedroom which we will not be using so the plan is to put my painting desk there, together with some other things but since the room is 20 square meters, there's really a lot of room for a big desk and a lot of equipment. So what do you think should be part of a well equipped painting desk? I know the title says "dream desk" but please don't take it too far :)

Here's are some ideas for my painting room so far:

- big desk with a lot of drawers, preferably a computer table so that I can put stuff on the (retractable) surface where the keyboard should be
- big light with double fluorescent bulbs (something like this http://www.lightingdirect.com/lite-sour ... sf%252D150)
- one or two of those revolving storage things for paint bottles (anyone knows what the proper description is and where I can buy one)
- a dedicated photo setup with light tent
- display cabinets
- storage for small things (you know these cabinets with little drawers, I already have one of those)

I'm also thinking about placing a computer on the desk (for music & inspiration), but I'm afraid I will be distracted too quickly by the internet... so I don't think I will do this.
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Re: Building the dream painting desk

Post by arctica »

Interesting idea for sure, now personally when im painting i don't get distracted too much by my computer, so i'd always have one there to play music or a movie on.

Might want to consider a lip on the side of the table as a spill zone, i know i've spilt so many water pots and/or paints, but im a bit clumsy :D
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

A place with a pole dancer would be nice.
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

Lothar wrote:A place with a pole dancer would be nice.
hmm too much distraction :)
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

true. drop the painting station if it distracts you.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

Dragyn

Post by Dragyn »

The Paint carousels are a nice idea ( I have two packed away probably willing to sell them to you $5.00 USD ea + Shipping). The round things to store paint in. I also woulds suggest a home made one that allows you to store any Valejo style paint bottles upside down (caps on tight) but still see the colour. This keeps the pigment closer to the top and helped make the paint consistant when shaken well, for me.

An area to do some quick photos of the minis. Would not require more than a .5 meter x .5 meter area on a stand or desk top.

One of those plastic bin drawer boxes to allow storage of small pieces not used initially but could eb used later(bitz box)

1 or 2 directional object lights for detail painting.

Definitely a lip on the edge of the desk for spills

Chair with a cup holder? (Said tongue in cheek)

a small stool or foot rest to allow you to shift your position of your legs and feet for those long paint sessions.

Just a few ideas any way, let me know if interested in the paint carousels.
Midnight Lurker

Post by Midnight Lurker »

I have a room dedicated to painting and modeling, and if you haven't finished yours yet I've got a couple suggestions...

I chose to go with a table rather than a desk, and set it up in an L shape right next to a line of low cabinets and drawers. My paint storage rests on top of the cabinets and I keep all my modeling and basing stuff in the drawers. All my notes and sketches and mojos are on the wall above. Everything I could ever need is right there with a spin of my rolling chair! :D

Two lamps, but I think I get the best of both worlds by using one Ott light and one regular incandescent. The Ott light for seeing details, incandescent for color evaluation. I kinda toggle back and forth between the two.

A power strip is a good idea. Easy enough to mount on the edge of the table. Zip ties keep the power cords tidy.

I have a dremel mounted on the side of my table. Very handy for mini prep and basing!

Believe it or not, I get a lot of use from my hairdryer.... I hang it on a hook off the side.

I made a little spot for my milliput oven.

A bookcase devoted to art books and other reference materials.

And yes... definitely make room for a dedicated photo set up. Once you have everything in place it makes shooting so much easier and a lot more consistent.

Laters,
Jen
Genryu

Post by Genryu »

- one or two of those revolving storage things for paint bottles (anyone knows what the proper description is and where I can buy one)
I have been considering one those myself, here is one I have had my eye on (just need to save some money): http://www.paintier.com/

Its pretty nice in that you can add extra layers/tiers to it, rather than buying more than one, as your paint collection gets bigger.
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

Allright people I think I have decided about a couple of things. Thanks everyone for the input, it gave me a lot of stuff to think about.

- together with my girlfriend we have decided not to place a computer table in the living room (as we did in our previous home), simply because of the fact that we each have a laptop on which we usually work while sitting in the couch. The PC is only used for the attached printer and to store and backup digital photographs etc. So I will probably put the PC in my painting room. There I can use it to play music, directly upload digital photos, surf the web and post on my blog.
- I think I will go for one or two tables instead of a desk (thanks Midnight Lurker ;) ). I think it will give me more options and more space. I will only need to find some cheap drawers or cupboards to store my stuff in, as well as a book case.
- My Dremel will also get a dedicated spot, and maybe I should invest in a small and cheap hairdryer (those travel models will do I think) rather than stealing my girlfriend's stuff every time.
- One or two paintiers: I had an offer from an old friend on the CMON forums to buy a second hand one and @Dragyn: I've sent you a PM about yours...
- A new painting light.
- I have a small cupboard left from my old room: it's about 80cm high and has a 60x60cm surface: perfect for my dedicated photo setup. I might consider buying a second light for it, my old painting light will be the first one.

That's about it for now. My painting studio also has a window. It might be cool if I could fit the painting table right underneath however I don't think this is possible since it's quite low. And I also don't know if I will want it, since it's oriented towards the south, I will be painting in direct sunlight in the afternoon...