Chaos Slaneesh General

You need inspiration, ideas? Not a WIP yet but still in a concept stage? Come here!
Elfboy

Chaos Slaneesh General

Post by Elfboy »

I was sat busily chopping up Space Marines to make the rider for the Chopper bike I posted a while ago when I got to thinking about an army leader.

I'm mostly making a shopping list for components at the moment since I haven't got a clear idea of what models I want to buy. What I do want is for my general to set the theme for the army which is a depraved, pink and blue affair, obsessed with the sensual (not necessarily the sexual) who look and act far more fragile than they really are.

My idea is to have a daemon or mutated character for the general, with a centaur form. He'd be bigger than other normal troop characters, but not as large as Greater Daemons and the like. He should be androgynous looking, but male and can be a composite of different miniatures. If possible, he should be wearing some floaty clothes too.

For his base, I've got a clearer notion. I need to get some miniatures that are, or look like, Space Marine Scouts. They are the general's 'lap dogs' and he'd be holding them on leashes. The Scouts would be painted in normal chapter colours too, they're prisoners not converts... yet. The base itself would be a small hill I think, scattered with all sorts of decadent rubbish.

I'm hoping that my description is clear enough and that people can help me out with this one. It's not often I get this clear an idea for a conversion I want to do.

Oh, and it's worth noting that I'm a rubbish sculptor so I wouldn't be able to build parts from scratch. My sculpting skill is limited to filling gaps, really.
Ana
Painting Mum
Painting Mum

RE: Chaos Slaneesh General

Post by Ana »

OMG sorry I can't help you.

I remember only the models which are interesting for me - I don't make a directory of minis of my head ;)
And that is why I can't help you - sorry :(
-- Ańa

mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

Now, man, you have a VERY clear idea of what you want, but I am afraid that with such limited sculpting abilities it will be very hard to do the concept justice. I cannot think of any miniatures which could be easily combined into a general described by you.

What comes to my mind is: chaos sorcerers for WFB, the new Slaaneshi character for 40K, dark eldar characters...

The idea seems to be more ethereal and subtle than most 40K models, so as long as you want to use GW models there will be a problem to create what you want without serious resculpting...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Elfboy

Post by Elfboy »

Oh I don't mind what range the miniatures are from. I'm not that particular about my armies having to be Games Workshop only to run in a Games Workshop game since I'm more interested in appearance than the ability to play in tournaments and GW shops. As long as the miniatures are the right sort of feel and scale it shouldn't be a problem.

I've had a few good ideas over the years and my sculpting inability has always let me down, not for lack of trying, I might add! This is why I do patchwork conversions. I'm quite good at stitching pre-sculpted elements together and then smoothing out the joins, but I'm useless at full on sculpting work.
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

cannot help - sorry :(
but I wish you all the best in searching for proper models :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

the simpliest thing that comes to my mind (and meets your requirements) is centaur/horse bottom with C'tan deathbringer torso/arms. It would be good if horse/centaur was standing on its rear legs only, to make your general more dynamic.

base - if you want it to be a gaming piece, then you'll have serious problems to squeeze 'centaur' and additional scouts on it.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Docitalicus

Post by Docitalicus »

I would suggest archaon hors as the base as it is a little bigger than usual horses. You can add the torso from a platic demon or the slaanesh champion as it is bigger too than other minis.
Can't think anything else at the moment
For the scouts, I would more look at cadians, with some kind of renegade hat (like the FW ogryn) or KKK hat as they should be identified as to have no personality, if I understood well. Plastic cadians are much better convertible.
ciao and good luck
Doc
Elfboy

Re: RE: Chaos Slaneesh General

Post by Elfboy »

@ Nameless: It doesn't have to be on a gaming miniature base, that would really limit what I can do with it. I don't want a massive base though, nothing bigger than 2" square really.

@Doc: Hadn't thought about using Cadians, that could well work better. I want the characters to have personality though so as much as the idea of anonymity appeals, I don't think it would work in this instance, after all, it's far harder to humiliate someone if nobody knows who they are ;)

Thank you both for your suggestions, given me some food for thought and a few directions I hadn't considered.
Elfboy

Re: Chaos Slaneesh General

Post by Elfboy »

Was thinking about this project again and realised I've got some Rackham miniatures Centaurs. Really annoyed about Rackham no longer producing miniatures, but such is the way of these things.

I'm either going to use the centaur I have or keep an eye out for this guy: ImageClick to see full-sized image as either would be a great base for what I want to do, but the pictured one there has more presence.

I'll be off to the local wargames store later this week to trade some miniatures in so I'll be looking for parts to stock up on to build the general, I might find something better yet in their second hand section for a lot less money.