Gavvas WIP

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
Gavva
(Forum newbie)

Gavvas WIP

Post by Gavva »

Hi!

Starting up this WIP in hope of getting some pointers on how to improve my painting skill.

As i am planning on participating in a my first paintingcontest in januari i thought this would be a great opportunity to get some criticism and good advice during the painting process.

The model i will be painting is a Devourer Master of Carnage from Rackham.

My progress so far. The other parts are only primed or just basecoated.

Thinking about using this colorscheme:http://colorschemedesigner.com/#4P32uw0w0w0w0

Teal on the pants, purple armor with gold trims. Planning on trying some nmm on the armors metal trims.
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Re: Gavvas WIP

Post by Corvus »

Hey! First of all welcome to our forums :D it's great to see a talented painter like you to visit this place. Do you have any other work you can show us? Please do so in the Showcase forum (viewforum.php?f=28). If you want to introduce yourself a bit more then you can do so in the appropriate forum here: viewforum.php?f=33.

One of the most succesfull models from Rackham, it must be a challenge to do. Strange that you are painting this part by part, why not assemble the thing completely first?

I think it's a bit strange to see fleshtone on a Devourer, but it looks great nonetheless. Maybe a bit more highlights on the chest area: looks like the neck muscles and his sixpack were highlighted a bit more?

The color scheme you proposed looks good, but don't forget that the skintone makes up a lot of surface on this mini as well. So maybe you end up with 4 different colours which might be a bit too much... but the yellow might be close to the skintone..

Looking forward to the rest of this paintjob!
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

Looking good and since you already have a color plan why dont you use some of those colors (purples etc) and add them to the shadows of the skin, you can always try and read this great tutorial http://chestofcolors.com/how-to-paint-faces/

Have fun and keep bringing thos photos :clap:
Gavva
(Forum newbie)

Post by Gavva »

Thanks a lot for the comments guys!

The reason i didn't assemble the whole model before painting is that some places gets hard to reach and paint properly. And i am relly no good at painting where there is no room for brushslips :(.

New pic with some more highlights on the top of the chest area and some purple reds and greens glazed into the shadows, to subtle? Don't know if i should go for some more color in the shadows or not...

Also legs attatched with some basecoat so you can get a feel for the colorscheme. Thinking of changing the teal to a shade of green more like olive. Planning on doing the hood in the same color as the pants.

ImageClick to see full-sized image
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

hmm a bit too colourful for my taste but please keep posting more WIP pictures :D
Gavva
(Forum newbie)

Post by Gavva »

Some more work done on the pants and mask.

Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Nice, I like where this is going. Yeah, it may be too colorful but all the tones goes pretty nicely together. Looking forward for more pics
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

Those yellowish rims on the armour, are they going to be gold nmm??
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

trousers on the first photo - my favorite part. not perfectly smooth, but it's not the most important thing. they simply look good. sometimes it's not all about technical perfection, but more about getting the overall impression right.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

nice so far!
now get that purple much darker than it is ;)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================