Lots of Work In Progress (most of my model collection)

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
ruanae

Lots of Work In Progress (most of my model collection)

Post by ruanae »

Right, having posted some "finished" models I thought I should post some of the stuff I have as Work In Progress. Again feedback is welcome as I would like to improve. The stuff is also a bit varied, as I tend to
a) Paint things I like the look of
b) Get easily distracted.

Right, time for some photos (I'm not really sure about the best way to photograph models, something else to work on so these are the best I can do)
F
irst up some Dark Eldar, mostly chosen because I like the models, plus they have a whole Tron meets Sauron vibe to them I like

Dark Eldar Scourges: The issue I think I have is I'm not sure what exactly to do with these, I like the armour, but I struggle with what to do with the other bits and pieces

Followed by some Reaver Jet bikes (again same issue, its how to take it from a mostly done, that looks okay model to a "finished" hey that looks cool model)

Then some Dark Eldar vehicles, with the same kind of issue
Razorwing (I think) (I had painted a lot of it before I realised I had missed the tail section, hence the grey)
Front

Side

Cockpit/Pilot

And a Venom

I also have High Elf stuff on the go (and some Necrons but I haven't photo'd that). So here is a photo of a High Elf Lord on Griffon, Working mostly on the griffon body, the aim is to have a Bald Eagle for the bird and a High Elf White lion for the body. I quite like the look of the body so far, and I'm starting to work on the feathers

Okay, thats what I have at the moment (well apart from a lot of other stuff, but thats in boxes. Hopefully when I move house I will have more space, and possibly a shelf of shame for unfinished stuff, mostly due to my occasional low attention span).

Comments, critiques and feedback both welcome and sought (please don't be too hard :))

Thanks all
ruanae

Re: Lots of Work In Progress (most of my model collection)

Post by ruanae »

Right, I managed to get a little bit of painting done over the weekend.

I'm mostly working on the High Elf Lord on the Griffon, in particular the Griffon. I've tried to layer some more colour onto the wings, but I'm looking for feedback on what to do to enhance them and build them up further. Initially I'm thinking of a wash on top (maybe black?) to define the feathers then build up some highlights, maybe with a line of grey/white in the centre of some feathers to define the "spine" of the feather (I have no idea what the correct technical name is. One other thing is that, I guess I need to thin the paint and build the colour up in layers, but when I try it tends to run and pool in areas I don't want. Is this just a technique thing?

Couple of photos of the (underside) of the wings

and

Any feedback, comments, criticisms etc welcome.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Edit - added better sized pictures
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

Wings should be easy to paint:
you got base color so now several delicate drybrushes followed by some glazes should do the trick :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
ruanae

Post by ruanae »

Yeah, I've been highlighting the edge of each one (which takes a while but never mind) before I put a wash over it I think. Then I will give drybrushing them a go as well.

The only issue being I've just moved house, so the model, paints and brushes are somewhere in amoung the sea of boxes. On the plus side I will be able to set myself up a nice painting area when its all done.
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

I can just suggest to high light the edges a bit more on the dark eldar's ship. Maybe not all, but just some to make it more eye catchy.
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
ruanae

Post by ruanae »

Yeah, someone else suggested that as well, so I will give it a try. Thinking of mixing the highlight colour with a little white and using it as a fine line highlight on the edge of the edges. What I'm considering is deciding on the direction of a light source and applying the highlight to those edges that would be hit by the light?

Plus, and this idea has just occured to me, maybe trying an OSL effect on the engines of the jet. Never tried anything like that so will be making use of the tutorials on here but it could look cool

Its something to mull over while I'm unpacking boxes at any rate :)
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

It is always worth trying ;) Even your OSL might not be best at first, but then you will get it somehow. Did you see a tutorial here from Panda about OSL?
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

ruanae wrote:Plus, and this idea has just occured to me, maybe trying an OSL effect on the engines of the jet.
For quite a few seconds I was wondering where your griffon has engines.
sorry, major brain malfunction :doh:
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
ruanae

Post by ruanae »

It's okay I can understand the confusion.
I tend to have a lot of different projects on the go, possibly as I struggle with finishing them. But yes going to (re)read the osl tutorial and see what I can come up with. Have just managed to actually use my new painting area so I might even make progress on some bits and pieces :-)
ruanae

Post by ruanae »

Hello again

Apologies for being rather silent on here, real life, family and work kind of got in the way.

However, having cleaned up my painting area (and put up some new shelves) my plan is to focus on the Dark Eldar models.

The first thing I want to focus on are my reaver jetbikes and so I'm looking for feedback/suggestions (as per usual).

I have three jetbikes that are at a more finished state, which look a lot like this

But what I'm not sure what I need to do to "finish" them (which is a familiar problem for me) so advice is welcome.

Along line those I have another three jetbikes which are at an earlier stage of painting

The plan with these is to try and get them to the same stage as the other three, but then again figure out what the best approach is to finish them.

So if anyone has any thoughts then please let me know. My plan is to work on them this weekend so I will also try and update this with my progress as I go.

Thanks all :D