A Month of Sundays - my 96hrs of painting challenge

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
voyager

Re: A Month of Sundays - my 96hrs of painting challenge

Post by voyager »

Yeah, that will eventually be a low bush - I just figured I'd make the stem/stalk/trunk/whatever taller and cut it back later rather than have to figure out how to make it taller if I got it wrong.
World's Slowest Painter
and now on CMoN, for better or worse
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

all clear now :)
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
voyager

Post by voyager »

So... a good mate of mine decided to dump his Hordes army in favour of focusing on his Warmachine one... to my surprise he simply GAVE me the minis he had for it. So I was suddenly in possession of a small Trollbloods force! Well, I don't like the word "small" when talking about armies, so I instigated a breeding program, and now I have the following minis on the shelf:

pMadrak
eMadrak
Gunnbjorn
2 x Impaler
Bouncer
Mauler
Champions Unit
Champion Hero
5 x Whelps (1 unit)

Obviously more will arrive when there is stock to be had (Earthborn, Fell Caller, Krielstone Bearer, Elder Scribe, Scouts & Skinner) but of course this creates an interesting quandry... what to paint!!!!! (actually I kinda LIKE that quandry, but still...). I started painting one of the Impalers, but I tried to do it too quickly and it's not a great job thus far. Once it's finished and fixed up I'll post it.
World's Slowest Painter
voyager

Post by voyager »

Happy to report that the painting mojo seems to be returning - I've got a couple of minis underway now, and pictures to boot! I'll even put in some of the hours taken (although the full breakdown won't be taken from the project until the mini/s are finished).

Session #9 & #10
Monday 17th & Tuesday 18th September 2012
Time Spent: 3 hours (not deducted yet)
Worked on: Madelyn Corbeau (3 hours), pSkarre (5min - not counted)

Started by building a scenic base for pSkarre (time not deducted as it's not "painting time", plus assembly of the minis and priming white. Came up with a base idea for Madelyn but have not built it as yet. Might make that the next job.

pSkarre (WIP), placed upon the base.
ImageClick to see full-sized image
I have blocked in the tough to reach spots with a dark blue/gray after priming. Behind her is a barrel and some sacks. By her back foot is a hole in the timber.

Madelyn I began with the skintones. They don't show up too well in the photo but they have a decent amount of highlighting/shading. After that it was hold-my-breath time as the eyes were painted on. I'm getting a bit better at those - still need more practise though. That was the end of Session #9. Session #10 only had about an hour at my disposal, but I got the panels of the cloak/coat/robe/whatever the hell it is done. I was originally going to do it in a strong red but in the process I found I just liked this colour so I went with it. Blocked her hair in and called it a night.

Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan (WIP)
I know her face currently makes her look a lot like Mr Spock in drag. I'll try to fix that once the rest of the model is complete. The texture on the orange is from some matte varnish that didn't apply well (end of the can). A second coat from a fresh can fixed that post-photo.
Last edited by voyager on 28 Jun 2013, o 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
World's Slowest Painter
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

The base on the first one looks very interesting. On the second the blending on the dress is also nice. I think your project is working :D
The only problem might be, that you are starting to paint too many miniatures at once ;)
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
voyager

Post by voyager »

The only problem might be, that you are starting to paint too many miniatures at once
STARTING to??? :) I have the most AWESOME Shelf of Shame :P

Seriously though, I often struggle to pick something to work on, and then am the world's best procrasti-painter. You ARE right, I need to go back and finish up all of the half-started stuff, I really do. Some of it is just not inspiring (both at the moment and for a long time now), but it's important all the same.
World's Slowest Painter
voyager

Post by voyager »

Been a long time between posts - combination of work and volunteer work will do that. Now the weather has begun to clear and things are coming under control at the office, I've had some time to return to this project. Not forgotten, been staring at the cabinet and waiting for some free time.

Session #11 & #12
Tuesday 18th & Wednesday 19th December 2012
Time Spent: 3 hours (56hrs remaining)
Worked on: Alastariel

Yes, yes, another new mini. LOADS of unfinished stuff but I just had the urge to paint this one and I still do, so I'm following it for the moment. Currently only done the fleshtones, eyes and most of the hair - the rest is basecoats only to check for colours and to get the hard spots blocked in. Sorry for a crappy photo - it was late and I didn't set up the lights properly.

Reaper "Alastariel", WIP
Last edited by voyager on 28 Jun 2013, o 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
World's Slowest Painter
voyager

Post by voyager »

Adding in a quick update here... my plans to work on these models just took two "setbacks". The first is that I'm currently nursing a few sore spots after a low speed fall from my motorcycle. Makes painting for more than about 20min at a time a bit of a challenge. I'm fine though, I'll be back at things in a day or two. The second is that a close friend of mine has decided to enter a local Warmachine tournament and of course he's not done much painting. He's asked me to lend a hand. So there we are - my first commission work, even if it is done gratis (the dude may as well be my brother, we're pretty close). I'll post the work up here as it proceeds of course.
World's Slowest Painter
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

good luck with recovery!
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
voyager

Post by voyager »

OK, so it's taken longer than I thought to get some semblance of order back into my life. Hurts to think about it still, but I'm recovering slowly. I'm not abandoning this project, I'm back at it and will continue to track progress.

Session #13
Tuesday 21st May 2013
Time Spent: 3 hours (53hrs remaining)
Worked on: Sir Falco Steelcross

I decided to pull out my airbrush and try some airbrush modulation out on a little Reaper figure I've had for a while. To say that the method - which I have tried before with limited success - was successful and will change the way I paint armies is an understatement. This took about 2 hours of actual work and an hour or so of reading tutorials, tips, tricks, etc. Couldn't believe the results - more on that in a later post!

Sir Falco Steelcross

Yes, I know I missed the eyebrows and the straps on his right arm. I might go back and fix those but honestly they aren't obvious at normal distance and the point of this mini wasn't to be perfect anyway. I also didn't do his eyes. What I will note is that I highlighted the metal and his face - pretty much NOTHING else - just the airbrush modulation, the basecoat and a shade. Picture is a little flat, the contrast is slightly better (but not a whole lot I grant).

Next post coming up immediately - stay tuned!
Last edited by voyager on 28 Jun 2013, o 03:06, edited 1 time in total.
World's Slowest Painter