i want to become a better painter

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
Muskie

Re: i want to become a better painter

Post by Muskie »

I am a bit long winded but you did ask...

I think people should paint to their personal best standards. I don't understand people who refuse to paint or who are against painting and prefer to play with unpainted even unassembled models. Why not just use chits or chess pieces then?

As for improving painting, besides collecting links, building the news aggregator, a site for my main army, I did start a dedicated painting blog. There are some tutorials on that site, this one is the most popular. I have a lot of experience painting green having done two ork armies and a Nurgle one. :D

GW is once again making glazes, they'll probably prove more popular than when GW made them previously due to the Internet and folks properly demonstrating how to use them. I've had mine in my toolbox especially for red and green for years. I'll have to buy the new GW Glazes when I finally get my paints out of storage...

I also am interested in 'triads' particularly I want to try the Foundry Advanced Flesh triad which is actually five stages. I think these sets of three are a good tool for beginning painters as they yield consistent results and is an easy system to follow, but GW is big on washes and drybrushing and not so big anymore for layering for painting entire armies. The Foundry Painting book is a good read, people seem to like the new GW Painting Book and DVD too.

Kids today don't know how good they have it, 145 different shades of paint... :mrgreen:
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

Wall of Text :shock:
end now you gone tell us you post this all via phone :P

TBT - we love power posters !!! (so keep posting)
I also am interested in 'triads' particularly I want to try the Foundry Advanced Flesh triad which is actually five stages. I think these sets of three are a good tool for beginning painters as they yield consistent results and is an easy system to follow
ye some of beginers like Bohun use them .. other beginers do so :D with quite good effect i would sey :) (the black end Red sets - you mey find some of the work done by thous paints )
they seemed to want some sort of secret wash recipe, not be told that I used 3 or 5 different greys carefully layered to achieve the final effect.
hym - base colors then "diping" ..... works for genstealers ... end orks
The other reason the new paints have upset some veteran players is they already have 1000s of points of whatever army painted. They have a recipe or color list they use to paint their new additions,
if they got in they recipe ice blue they will be upsed - now it is Dry paste ... completly ussles if you whana actualy "paint it" - end Valleho or other firms dont have this actual collor (icy blue - yes but that difrent color )
end some other paints - the bright one became "tooth paste for smokers" (ther is always Coat the Arms .... colors ^-^ )

about gamers h8 Vs painters - dunno but i know about some actidents when good players got dysqualified cos they army whas "not painted" - end that whas just picky manipolation as army whas painted - just sombody else was ment to win so they need to get some reason to kick this particular person

other thing that i actualy c is that a lot of gamers just commision painting of ther whole army to painters end they are happy ..

so meybe whole h8 against painters is just badly placed Envy mixed with lasynes end self explaynatory lie to make them feel better ?
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
kylaxi
(Forum newbie)

Post by kylaxi »

Ok so i started again on my firestorm armada directorate fleet.
Now what i try to do is a blue and a green/yellow fleet.the top side of this one is allmost finished but i need to add 3 cannons what color shoul i do those?
ImageClick to see full-sized image

Some C&c would be nice!
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

no comments .. stange ..
och well ..
http://mudcu.be/sphere/
thats color sphere - helps fit colors
yu got on this mini Analogus blue green yelow range so you mey go forth with that or add complementary color like purple (magenta actualy / orange / red ) - this will strongly contrast with that
ot keep Analogus gamma end make them fitting rest - decision is up to you :)
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

My suggestion would be to make the shades darker (a controlled wash into deeper places).
As for the highlight I think edges could be more exposed.
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
LadyEyes
the List-mistress

Post by LadyEyes »

Something you need to be careful with in this color scheme is to make certain you keep your blue a little more towards cerulean blue (green-blue) and not drift into the violet-blue range. If you put violet-blue up against the yellow-green combination it's not going to look right no matter what you do.

How do you think black canons with orange-red trim might look? The orange-red bits would definitely pop.
"I like gypsy moths and radio talk
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything"
kylaxi
(Forum newbie)

Post by kylaxi »

Hum too bad i finished the cannons in the colors already on the hull, now it lacks something..but i need new help and i might even try the orange/black on the necron:
I really want to do something more with this mini but not sure what to do, any tips?

I already did the gun in blue and the head should be blue as well with red/orange eyes.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

well, if you painted the whole mini with contrast as strong as on the left arm, it would look awesome.
is it WIP of finished piece?
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Maybe edge highlighting would help?
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
kylaxi
(Forum newbie)

Post by kylaxi »

Yes edge highlighting should work.
My problem at this moment is that after i do the airbrushing paiting with a normal brush seems only to make things worse and not bettter. So now i have to force myself back into normal painting.
I have a new project that is for a painting competition so i really could use hints tips etc on this fella: