Little jimbo's WIP

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
Little Jimbo

Little jimbo's WIP

Post by Little Jimbo »

So here it is my WIP post. comments are more then welcome.

First of is a unite of 20 Skeleton warriors for my warhammer fantasy army. They are going to be painted to TT standard.
I started on the unite this afternoon. The flash messes a bit the the true metallic metal and there by showing a lot of the base base cote. i Have been testing a new method for rusty weapons for TT standard minis, it takes about the time for 2 counts of pain to dry to do. what do you think of the result, pic er more or less how it looks IRL ?

ImageClick to see full-sized image

Here is a pic of my "work Station" :)
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Re: Little jimbo's WIP

Post by Hellspawn »

I like the weapons, how you're doing it? Orange base + drybrush with metal?

Regarding the blue, I'm gonna tell you what everyone told me for my VC. Sooo flashy, they'll end up looking like more Tomb Kings than Vampire Counts which isn't what you're looking for I guess :) But hey, don't get me wrong, I like flashy colors, I made my VC that way first time, then I ended making them with armor in metallics and only purple on the clothes to avoid having them looking like Tomb Kings than Real Vampire Count.

What you could do and that would looks uber awsome imo is to get rid of the blue and try to go on the armor with the technics you used on the blades, ie, something rusty with the clothes in purple. It'll definitely look like real nasty VC.
Little Jimbo

Post by Little Jimbo »

You are spot on with the weapons. In regards to the blue it is the base cote for my armor but the metallic pain need a cote more to stop the base cote shining to much through.

when they are done they wont be bright at all got a unite of 10 grave guards all done, and they look quite dark and sinister. Ill try to have a sample uploaded later.

Regards
Daniel
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

so you go for strong contrast - orange vs blue - well tats works in Army painting
skellis are to grey for me - but tthats just me :P
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
Little Jimbo

Post by Little Jimbo »

here is a pic of the colors I will end up with when the figures is about done. The grave guards is not 100% finish them self but they give an impression of how the skeletons will look in a few days look.

If anyone has any idea for a banner plz. let me know it is so small i cant imagine anything to put on it.
Little Jimbo

Post by Little Jimbo »

Hello I am trying to so some test NMM gold and I am not completely satisfied with the result, see the picture. I know some placement of foci are wrong. But the bolt gun is my main concern. I hope you can give some pointers how to improve the bolt gun and the colors.

sorry for the bad pic did not have my camera around.

Best Regards
Daniel
Little Jimbo

Post by Little Jimbo »

I have made a bit more progress mainly by repainting parts of the mini.
I am not happy about the placement of the U-logo, but otherwise I liked it.

any comments and critics are welcome as this mini is all about improving.

Best regards
Daniel
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Isn't the paint your're using a bit too thick? I get this feeling. To make a betteer effect you need to make the color transitions more subtile. To achive this, you need to take more time and make more layers.
I also think you need to make the shadows stronger on gold elements.
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

some transitions are quite smooth, some are awfully rough. Compare trimming on the shoulder pads, or red clothing with a gold eagle.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Little Jimbo

Post by Little Jimbo »

sea.man wrote:Isn't the paint your're using a bit too thick? I get this feeling. To make a betteer effect you need to make the color transitions more subtile. To achive this, you need to take more time and make more layers.
I also think you need to make the shadows stronger on gold elements.

Hmm the paint I use I quite diluted. But i might still bee that I need more dilutions and more layers. But I think that the problem is that this mini, as I use it for practices has been repainted at least 3 times for the most parts.
Nameless wrote:some transitions are quite smooth, some are awfully rough. Compare trimming on the shoulder pads, or red clothing with a gold eagle.
yes the eagle is a full and will be fixed at some point. Main focus has been of the shoulders and chest and cloth so far. some parts has just got a quist paint job to test some colors.

Thanks both of you for you comments.

Best regards

Daniel