Serraphim's W.I.P

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
Serraphim

Re: Serraphim's W.I.P

Post by Serraphim »

Here are the photos. As you can see the highlight is looking chaulky (I added grey for the first level and a beige for the second). It's also not bright enough for my liking and the only thing that I can think of is to keep adding layers.
ImageClick to see full-sized image
mahon wrote:whatever you do - be bold with it. being shy will result in boring miniatures.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

add a glaze of thinned black ink over the coat and you will reduce the chalkiness and even smooth the transitions a bit :)

i like your progress on the model here. it seems it's going to be a nice display model :)
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Serraphim

Post by Serraphim »

I'm actually planning on giving her away. None of my armies really use her.
mahon wrote:whatever you do - be bold with it. being shy will result in boring miniatures.
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

How much do you thin your paints? Looks like you thin them too much, or maybe they are too thick.

What about the smoothness of the primer job? Is the basecoat smooth enough? Did you apply several thin layers for a basecoat instead of one thick one?

Just some ideas....
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

not sure because of the photo but it seems you made a basic mistake by using black as the base for painting black. Now, what will you use for shadows? you can only highlight now, which is not the best (or easiest) thing.
make a mix of black and almost any colour you wish for a base, then add black to shadows and your chosen colour to highlights.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Serraphim

Post by Serraphim »

Corvus wrote:How much do you thin your paints? Looks like you thin them too much, or maybe they are too thick.

What about the smoothness of the primer job? Is the basecoat smooth enough? Did you apply several thin layers for a basecoat instead of one thick one?

Just some ideas....
I think that I thin my paints too much (almost a 10:1) but whenever I try a better ratio I get tonnes of tide lines and pools. Guess I just havent found my sweet spot yet.

I used Krylon matt white for the primer (granted I didnt do my best job in cleaning the mini first), which almost always goes on smoothly.

Actually I think the basecoat could have been smoother.

Thanks, this gives me a lot to think about.

@Nameless - The base is Reaper Master Violet Shadow (Violet something). 1st shade was 50/50 that and black, then pure black with a touch of violet and a little brown. I agree that the base colour is a little too dark.
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

What can also help is painting on some watered down milliput, this should really help on large surfaces such as cloaks, large skin areas, etc. Haven't really tried it myself yet....
Serraphim

Post by Serraphim »

Corvus wrote:What can also help is painting on some watered down milliput, this should really help on large surfaces such as cloaks, large skin areas, etc. Haven't really tried it myself yet....
I picked up some terracotta Mulliput yesterday for the Searforge jacks I'll be painting (Most of the other Rhul units dont have large serface areas). So I'll let you know how it goes.

Painting has stopped for a little bit as I am currently stripping the dwarves to get ready for the Journeyman League. I will be painting some Skorne soon though. A buddy is letting me borrow is Air Brush and as "payment" I get to paint eMorg, Tiberion and a Titan Sentry.
Serraphim

Post by Serraphim »

So I got the Skorne models and the airbrush from my friend. After a couple days of playing around with it, testing on various different models to see how it would act, I've started on the Skorne Titan plastic kit from PP.

The second photo shows just how rough the blends are, I'm hoping that I can correct them. I can show the test models if you guys are interested.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

do I see a lot of mold lines?
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================