I Want to Improve My Painting

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
aranelthemithra

Re: I Want to Improve My Painting

Post by aranelthemithra »

I charged $15 a model for a friend self limiting to 4-5 hours per ship.
huitzilopochtli

Post by huitzilopochtli »

My latest WIP. Only started the skin and still have some highlighting, shading and glazing to do, but I'd like to hear what you think so far. I've also converted her crown slightly, although it's hard to see it properly in these photos. :)

ImageClick to see full-sized image

Since this - I think - will be one of my entries for golden demon, please feel free to comment as such. :)
p1per

Post by p1per »

I would say good start but as you said you will still be doin' some highlights and shades so right now it's a bit tough to give some feedback. :) Waitin' for some updates. ;)
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Agreed, good start :) I would go deeper with the shades with adding a bit of purple :)
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

totally agree with more shading as it's very muted out and bleached almost. Some additional colour would be better.
LadyEyes
the List-mistress

Post by LadyEyes »

It could maybe use another smidge of shadows, but I'd rather see a little more highlighting. The shadows go pretty deep (at least on my monitor), but the light tones seem flat. But very nice so far.
"I like gypsy moths and radio talk
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything"
huitzilopochtli

More work done on skin. Still have to add some more pure white and some deeper shadows in places, but nearly done. :)

Recipe - if anyone's interested -
1:1:1 tallern flesh, denheb stone, bleached bone
Highlighted with 1:1:1:1 (approx.) tallern flesh, denheb stone, bleached bone, white
More highlights of 1:1 bleached bone, white
Shaded with glazes of regal blue followed by VMC violet (to add some colour)
Highlighted with 1:2 bleached bone, white
More violet glazes in places
Highlighted with some pure white

And thanks for the feedback so far! :D
huitzilopochtli

Argh... I feel awful that this model is taking so long, but other things got in the way. Still, I will try not to be to depressed about it, and instead use it as motivation to really step up my painting speed and stamina. In the meantime, lots of progress has been made, please tell me what you think. Sorry the pictures are not the best - well, at least not as good quality as those above - the camera I usually borrow is unavailable at the moment.

Enjoy :)

I painted the pink back first, but I like the green more and I don't think they go together too well so will have to change one.
p1per

Post by p1per »

I like what you did with the skin though with the picture quality is hard to say if the focus (highlights) is properly placed on her face.

The skirt thing is really nice, beautiful blending and highlights from what is visible on these pictures and I must say I do like that green/red-pinkish change. Boots are also very well done.

Not sure if that Gold NMM is just started or considered to be done if later increase highlights. NMM only "pops" if you go for a really high contrast - Black/White. :)

One last thing - don't be demotivated/depressed this one is going to be an awesome piece so take your time and enjoy painting! :)
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

yup you get good with blending :)
a litle passtele theme without "dramatic" light but hey well thats not obligatory way
i reali like the green you made end i would encurage you to try a frehand on it but not "normal 1" - look at Ana haos sorcerer on disc she put a subtele flower motive in it as a part of material (noth the picock fether) i t could be worthy to try (meybe not on this model but in the future as it looks good on buttery smouth shading )
end about time eficiency - thats not rat race - thats hobby :)
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/