Hi , My names Don

Say "hello" and add a few words about you here :)
DonRecardo
(Forum newbie)

Hi , My names Don

Post by DonRecardo »

Hi Everyone

Just letting you know who I am

I live in Redditch in the center of England, I'm retired and very very new to painting miniatures ( or painting anything else)

I had never tried before , because I have very shakey hands and at 64 the eye sight is not so good either
A week back the local hobby craft shop had a sale on miniatures so bought a box of Skeleton Warriors and a box of Gene Stealers . Then I realised I needed paints but hadnt a clue what colours to buy. I came home with no paints and sat down to think about it

In the end I went online and bought a atarter set of 8 paints, a brush and 5 Lothern Sea Guards , as it all came in one box I didnt need to choose colours as that was done for me .
While I waited for it to arrive I watched lots of vids on YouTube and learned a lot , like how to rest my hands on the table to stop them shaking.
I painted my first lothern guard and compared to what you guys can do I expect its classed as rubbish but compared to what I expected it to look like I was really pleased

It only came with 7 colours and one wash so I didnt have the colours to do highlights and stuff , but it was enough to inspire me

I have now bought the Vellejo game colors suitcase that had 72 pots in a little suitcase . 66 colors, a primer, some varnishes and 3 brushes . I also got the set of washes and the set of Inks.
Being a pensioner that was quite an outlay , but my theory is , I now cant afford to give up.
I dont have any interest in playing Warhammer etc its just the painting I like the idea of , I have been looking at a lot of the Reaper bones and fancy a go at painting some of their dragons. They look good fun and can be done in some nice colours

I do have a question about the vallejo game paints but I guess that belongs in another section of the forum so I shall go look for it now

Bye
Don
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: Hi , My names Don

Post by Pandadosmares »

Hi welcome,

if we can answer just shoot the question :mrgreen:
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

Welcome indeed, never to old to learn something new! :D

Do ask any questions you have and also show the Lothern seaguard please!
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

welcome!
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

Hi Don :)

it's a fun hobby for sure and since the guys and girls on here inspired me to paint, i've not put my brush down since ;)
DonRecardo
(Forum newbie)

Post by DonRecardo »

Thanks everyone for the kind replies
I would have replied earlier but I thought I would receive an email to say
someone had replied to my post , but of course that doesnt happen on this forum.
It was only when I came for a look to see who else had joined that I found the replies

My biggest problems are , being old my hands shake very badly
all my life they shook but now as I age they shake worse
and the other problem is eye sight . I have bought one of those visors
with the lenses in front and they do help but I cant wear them for too long
they kind of draw my eyes and give me a head ache .

Skrit asked me in his reply to show a picture of my efforts so far by uploading a picture
and I must admit that worried me after seeing how good the quality of other
peoples work is, but I have been thinking about it and came to the conclusion.
I will never be a good painter, my hands and eyes dont allow me to be, but as
long as I do it to the best of my ability and hopefully if it improves with time as I
learn new skills then I should be happy with the results. So thats the attitude I am
going to take .
When I can find my camera I will upload something

Don
DonRecardo
(Forum newbie)

Post by DonRecardo »

Well

I found my camera and took some pics
If I have got this right then this should be a link to them

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3kedjd34ehlway8/4j1YKHdQ05

I have already warned you they are not very good , but for now they are the
best I can do

Don
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

Well as far as i can tell, you're neat as a painter.

I think your painting requires some depth, which means highlights and shadows on some of the areas.

In many areas the paint is quite thick but this is just a matter of practice and getting used to thinning your paints. Also by thinning your paints you'll find highlighting and shading much simpler.

I like working with defined edges to each separate areas, like games workshop models they like to "blackline" distinct edges to define different objects and raised/lowered areas.
DonRecardo
(Forum newbie)

Post by DonRecardo »

Thank you for your comments arctica , your right about the thick paint.
It was only yesterday I read that its important to thin the paint down . I had assumed it needed to cover in one coat but this of course is wrong. Lots of thin coats are better, and easier to apply neatly .

I will give it a go next time I try painting a model
but again thank you for the helpful remarks
Don