deviantART - Commenting on Art Correctly:

All the stuff which didn't fit anywhere else
PollutedWisdom

deviantART - Commenting on Art Correctly:

Post by PollutedWisdom »

Here is an interesting blog I read this morning. Thoughts and comments on this are highly encouraged! ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________

Commenting on Art Correctly

Nov 4, 2009, 4:40:56 PM by =Grekkikay
Journals / Culture / Editorials

We all see those complaints all over the board about people who would rather you not favorite their artwork and instead post commentary about the given artwork. While I myself have no problems as far as favoriting instead of commenting is concerned, since a lot of deviants are like this, I thought it was right to tell people how to comment correctly.

Now, before you read any of this, please put on your thinking cap. I am not telling you that your method of commenting is wrong if you comment differently, nor am I forcing you to comment in this exact way. These are simply guidelines for posting a comment that can really help in the long run as far as becoming a better critiquer and a better commenter in general.

Another thing to keep in mind is some people don't want you critiquing in commentary. If this is true, disregard any rules pertaining to critiquing, and instead focus on the other tips that are listed here.

Some things to keep in mind

Before you start testing out the commenting based on what I say below, here are a few notes that you should probably keep in mind before you comment anywhere.

- Short comments, such as "lol" or "that's awesome!" are generally not well-liked by the community. While it can provide a bit of an ego boost, it says nothing about how you personally feel about the piece of artwork you are commenting on, nor about what you think could be improved. Short comments are like taboo for some artists, especially me in particular.

- Keep others' feelings in mind when you are commenting. While I applaud people who say "this artwork sucks!" for stating their opinion at the risk of many of the person's fans flaming them to death, it's still not very nice. Remember the artist has feelings, too, no matter how terrible the artwork is in your opinion.

- People don't beg for comments just to get more pageviews. People who typically like it more when you comment if you fave are people who want you to give critique and/or state your opinion on the piece of artwork. They're saying your opinion matters to them, and that faves just can't tell them anything about it. That means you should take special care with your comments if you are going to fave a piece of artwork, unless the artist states otherwise.

- This isn't a MySpace. Unless the artist is a close friend of yours, don't treat the commentary like it's a MySpace message. The comments should only be about the artwork and the Artist's Comments, nothing else. The same thing applies to Journal Entries -- you wouldn't go on a forum talking about your uncle's socks in a roleplay topic, would you? Exactly.

- At the end of your commentary, especially if it's long, sum up what you said. This can prevent people who just walk in and read your comment from getting confused, especially if the comment is elaborate. If it's really short, there's no need for this -- however, it's still recommended, so that way it's easier to paraphrase for the other person and, thus, easier to understand.

Now that you know a few things to consider, let's get started, shall we? Here are a few general rules that should go into commentary. (Some stuff that was stated above may be restated below but expanded in detail.)

Your opinion matters:

If you find yourself on a piece of artwork in which the person requests critique, don't be afraid to express your opinion. The person is actually asking for your opinion. Here are a few general rules considering expressing your opinion through critiquing:

- Try to back up your opinions: I know this is easier to do with facts, but try to back them up, anyhow. If you are unsure of your opinions, then look over them. You should have a very strong position on a piece of artwork.

Good example: "The artwork is too dark. I can't make out any of the symbolism it represents."
Bad example: "I don't know, something about the shading seems off. I'm not sure, but something should be changed regarding the lighting."

- Don't be afraid to express them: Trust me -- there will be aspects and opinions off something that you have that express dislike or contempt for the artwork. What I tell you to do is to keep in mind the artist's personal feelings, but don't let them get in the way of expressing your opinion. If you don't like something about the artwork, say it. However, say it in a nice way.

Good example: "I don't think you should color it blue. As good as this artwork is, it doesn't fit the mood that I assume you're trying to convey."
Bad example (sugar-coating): "I don't like the artwork... I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"
Bad example (too harsh): "This artwork sucks. You colored it blue when it CLEARLY should have been pink. You should give up making artwork."

If the artist is offended and you followed the first example, anyhow, then that is the artist's fault, not yours. You are trying to help but the artist isn't allowing you to. Artists need to learn that they won't always get their butts patted. (Somebody needs to deflate their ego!)

- Give a few compliments: If you like a certain aspect of the artwork, don't be afraid to say that. Be sure, though, that it flows with what you originally said. For instance, if you're stating something isn't right with the inking, don't state something about the colors -- state something you like about the inking, or start a new paragraph in the comment.

Good example: "I really like the expression that George has on his face -- it really fits! However, I think that Ben, his partner, doesn't seem to react well enough to George -- try throwing on the overexaggerated expressions on him, as well."
Bad example: "Your lineart is so crisp and clean! However, I think that you should fix up the characters' dialogue."

Following a comic or a story:
There are a lot of artwork pieces that tell a story here, whether it be fanfictions, comics, or single page story arcs. As I'm sure that you wouldn't be looking at the artwork unless you like the story, try to show your genuine interest in the story that you're reading about. Story-related commentary can keep these facts in mind:

- Ask questions: If something is confusing you about the story, ask the author! As long as it doesn't spoil anything, they should be happy to try to paraphrase anything said in the story for you. Remember, though, that asking about where the setting is at the beginning of a story is not exactly the best option, mainly because the beginning is just setting it up and usually starts you in the middle of the action.

- Make guesses: Try guessing what will happen next! Not only will this please the artist, because he/she knows that you're paying attention to what's going on in the story, but you can actually strike up a conversation with a fellow fan on speculating! Remember, though, that you shouldn't ask for spoilers from the artist unless you really can't stand the wait -- in which case, you should ask by note, not by comment

- Make suggestions: If you think something is missing in the story, or you think something about the story can be improved, don't be afraid to say it. Look at the Your opinion matters for more on stuff like this

- Comment about what just happened: Really express what you really liked (or really hated) about what just happened in the story. Don't be cautious about saying you don't like a certain character for what he or she just did -- as long as the artist isn't flimsy and won't bend to your will, it should be fine, and it only shows that you're interested enough in the story to actually hate an event in it. Don't be afraid to babble about it! It really helps the artist feel confident in his or her story.

For example: "Whoa! I didn't expect him to betray her! That was such a clever plot twist! And that dog, Benjamin... it's soooo cool that he can talk now! But I think that Neo is eeeeemo -- he really needs to get over his dead sister."

Adapt to the situation:
Some types of comments are more appropriate than others in certain situations. Take it in a Journal Entry perspective. You're not going to go about talking about your grandma just dying in a Journal Entry about this being the BEST DAY EVAR, would you? Or perhaps you wouldn't say something serious on something that is meant to be taken as a joke. Here are the common comment constructions for certain artwork:

- The true commentary: This is for artwork that was drawn just plainly out of boredom or has no significant meaning. These comments are comments that are what you truly think -- you may act as silly or as serious as you want. I also like to call these the casual or adapting comments, which work in very non-serious situations. Since this varies, I won't tell you what exactly you should do for this commentary.

- Serious commentary: This is for artwork that is meant to be taken seriously, whether it be artwork that has to do with someone's grandmother who just died, or artwork that has a deep, symbolic meaning. You're not going to joke around on an artwork that features one character being killed by another -- it just doesn't make any sense, unless the artwork is not being taken seriously by the artist him/herself. Commentary like this is usually structured by using long, elaborate sentences, with near perfect grammar.

Good example: "I definitely agree that the world is made up of not black and white, but shades of gray..." (going on)
Bad example: "IT'S SO PRETTY!! Gray is gay LOLOLOLOL"

- Funny commentary: Typically works best for artwork that is drawn as a joke -- this type of artwork usually has overexaggerated expressions on it. Commentary like this usually disregards grammar -- trust me, it's easy to tell whether or not this commentary has as much effort put into it as serious commentary.

Good example: "DUDE, WTF IS HE DOING WITH HIS HAND
LOLOL YOUR FACE"

Bad example: "I think this is quite hilarious. (Dude, I actually thought that was funnier than the good example.)"

- Roleplay commentary: MOST PEOPLE HATE THIS KIND OF COMMENTARY. I MEAN IT. But for close friends, roleplay commentary is good -- especially on an artwork that is prompting you to roleplay. For example, let's say there's an artwork that wants a reaction from the audience -- like asking how your character relates to this particular character. Roleplaying would be responses like: "Character's Name: O_O'" Most of the time this makes the most sense of the roleplay characters know each other. Remember, though, that commentary like this is usually not liked -- mainly because it doesn't follow the commentary from above.

And now, all together:

Keeping everything in mind, putting every single thing that I suggested in there (which you don't have to, by the way), here's one that I wrote:

"Hey, it's =Grekkikay.

First of all, I'd like to say that I really, really like this picture. I love how you captured Naruto's expression, and I love in general his body movements in this comment. As well, I'd like to say that I really also like how you draw Sasuke's face -- you really have a problem with it? It doesn't look like it, truthfully!

Now, one thing that concerns me is the style of your coloring. When you're coloring, make sure that you gradually shade, not completely make one area dark and one area light. There also doesn't appear to be any highlights. I like how you color, but it doesn't fit with the lighting, and that needs to be fixed. Shading in real life is gradual, not suddenly contrasting -- so make sure you understand that.

Anyway, now to the story...

Gosh, I wonder why Sasuke's leaving. Naruto, say something! Don't let him go! D: Also, I wonder where the others are while they're saying this? Will they show up later? I can almost imagine Lee just hopping in and kicking Sasuke in the face. That would make me a happy camper. XD

Though, there's one thing I don't get. Why does Sasuke want to leave this time if Itachi didn't slaughter the clan in this comic? It seems rather confusing -- he doesn't seem to have a motive for leaving.

Overall, this is an amazing comic, and if you could just fix up your shading a little, it would be even better. I'm really enthralled -- please, make more!"

Now, that is a really long comment -- however, it only took me five minutes, and I didn't even have a piece of artwork in front of me! However, without me even telling you that, it definitely seems like I put a lot of effort into it, huh? It's much easier writing comments that are nice and long than people think it is.

Remember, however, to think through this guide here. Certain commentary strategies will not work in certain situations, and I'm absolutely sure that you won't want to make a long comment like that for every piece of artwork -- maybe only use only a few of the techniques mentioned above. As long as you're not making some useless comment like "lol" or "great work," then go for it!

The purpose of the comment is to show your opinion. So don't be shy about it!
Last edited by PollutedWisdom on 30 Dec 2011, o 22:55, edited 12 times in total.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Re: deviantART - Commenting on Art Correctly:

Post by Nameless »

now that's a lot to read... perfect for another lazy day at the office ;)
will sure get back to this :)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I wouldn't have known about it at all.
Some really good points there, although I think some formatting (marking some parts with bold or underlined text) would make it more legible.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
PollutedWisdom

Post by PollutedWisdom »

mahon wrote: Some really good points there, although I think some formatting (marking some parts with bold or underlined text) would make it more legible.
True. I'll make adjustments to the text for easier reading.