In the shadow of Dark Tower

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
Le6n

Post by Le6n »

My first 54 mm miniature - it was real pleasure to paint. I've finish it for Model Day contest and I was surprised when it took 1-st place in Figurines category.

Base is made by Scibor Monstrous Miniatures

And as always - any comments, ideas or critics are welcome...

If you would like to see full size picture with multiple angled views, or vote for the mini, visit the CMON: http://www.coolminiornot.com/220594 and url=http://www.coolminiornot.com/220595

ImageClick to see full-sized image
IN THE SHADOW OF DARK TOWER blog - reviews, tips & tricks, free models, photogallery
Le6n

Post by Le6n »

My second 54 mm miniature - Airtis Barbarian Gnome, beautifully sculpted by Raul Garcia Latorre. I'm still not fully satisfied with the skin smoothness and his back was real pain in the ass - I was trying to re-paint 3 times and it's still not good. You can see some W.I.P. photos at my blog - http://dtsmodelling.blogspot.com

If you would like to see full size picture with multiple angled views, or vote for the mini, visit the CMON: http://www.coolminiornot.com/221541

IN THE SHADOW OF DARK TOWER blog - reviews, tips & tricks, free models, photogallery
Le6n

Post by Le6n »

Always when I look at this mini it reminds me of young Conan The Barbarian, unstopable northern warrior - and that's the way I wanted to paint it. Dangerous killer from northern lands, who is making his way free with sword and axe. Simply love it... You can see some W.I.P. photos at my blog - http://dtsmodelling.blogspot.com

If you would like to see full size picture with multiple angled views, or vote for the mini, visit the CMON: http://www.coolminiornot.com/226927

Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

cool (pun intended) :) great colours, great technique.
not much to criticize here. white highlights by scratches are perhaps too strong. IMO the wolf skin is not up to ths standard of the whole mini. Not that it is poor paintjob, I'd just expect something bit better from you :)

nice one again!
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

Well painted and i see you're using your favourite blue colour all over :D. I think to me the skin is just so strange i can't get to grips with this one, it's too blue, i mean i can understand it adds to a cold atmosphere to the model but it's just a bit much for me. Still very nice.
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

great paintjob on every mini :clap:
did you use snow effect or maybe just white glue + baking soda combo?

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

excellent job on the skin (maybe except for the shadows, which are only good), base, and the axe (except for the white lines)
the hair could be much better....

generally what I like the most is the mood of the whole model. well done!
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

I like the dark mood you've set. He looks like a Norsii raider to me. Well done! :)
Marta

Post by Marta »

I love the mood, colours and technique, I even like the fur. And axe (except the white lines) is impressive....
But I don't understand skin, it's to weird to me.
But still, great work;]
Le6n

Post by Le6n »

Thanx for your kind words, I was pretty confused about reactions, some people said it's bad because it's blue all over, some say it's great with the mood created using that blue tones. For a while I was thinking about unpainting this piece and starting all over again, but I won't do that. I've did my best while painting it and I don't think it will be better for second time. Maybe it will be just more like the other Urmuths around and I don't want to do that. I wanted him in this blue mood and so he is and I think there's no other Urmuth like this and that sounds good to me :)

Ad. The Fur
I really don't like painting fur and hair on these minis. It's fun painting it on scibor's fairy-tale models, but not here. I wanted the fur as dark as possibe, so it gives solid contrast to bright skin and outlines whole mini.

Ad. Blue Color
I promise to put the box with blue colours away from my hands for maybe one or two minis - I love bluish tones and the mood they create, but you're right - it can't be everywhere and I need to try paint some pinky skin :) This one was little practise before I'll try something monochrome (and blue again :)

Ad. Snow
Demi, you're right, this is just simple&cheap solution using baking soda with diluted PVA glue. Last night I made some corrections on snow - mostly on his boots which are too clean on first photo session. I will try to make some photos today with another camera and hoping for better results