Eldar Wraithguard

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Eldar Wraithguard

Post by arctica »

Right so i posted this on cmon and got almost zero comments so lets try here and get something constructive, i decided a short while ago i want to get really good at painting and finally enter some competitions and i figured rank and file models are quite a nice way to learn new techniques but better to try a range of models so i just picked this eldar wraithguard from my collection to paint.

[rimg]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9117 ... md2.th.jpg[/rimg]

Im pretty happy with the red armour, and the gems arent too bad my only real problems were what to do with the gun and getting a smooth consistent colour with the white. Should i have contrasted the white shading more? and i couldn't decide how to do the black part of the gun. Also the colour contrast with the red armour does it need more highlighting? The free hand on this model was fun tho :)
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

RE: Eldar Wraithguard

Post by Skrit »

The red indeed is nice but could do with some more sharper highlights!

Also because the red armour is a bit shiny the gems which are pretty good, don't stand out that much. Matt varnish the red armour a bit and gloss varnish the gems and they'll stand out more.

What colour did you start the white with? As it is Wraithbone I always tend to start out with a more off colour for example one of the newer foundation paints. Sorry can't remember the name, think it's something with Tau ...

And finally, the base is lacking a lot!

Adding just a bit of static grass ain't enough and brings the rest of your model down! So get that fixed and you've got yourself a great piece. And, after not painting so long you ARE doing pretty good there mate!:D

Hope I didn't sounded harsh or anything...
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

RE: Eldar Wraithguard

Post by Demi_morgana »

as for me - I like it a lot!
the only thing to improve is imo removing the mentioned glossy effect but a coat of vatt varnish shoud be the right solution :) as for the base - if that's model for gaming I think static grass is enough :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
arctica

Post by arctica »

Great comments thanks for the info/help, as for the shiny effect yea matt varnish will help but also because my main lamp is broken i had to use the flash on my camera. The model itself is mainly for tabletop gaming use but also as a practice piece to break up the monotony of rank and file painting (anyone with a goblin army be prepared !!).

With the white pieces i worked down from a white base coat gradually increasing in codex grey. I didn't intend it on being wraithbone actually. Im always a bit lazy for prepping and basing a model but i read an article about using layers of cut up cds to give a slab/stone work base which would be easy for me since im a bit clueless as to converting stuff, so i might give that a try. And don't worry about any seemingly harsh criticisms, its kinda what i want so that i can learn :D
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

Noooo, don't use your old (or new! ;) ) cds!

Go to Ikea or somesorts and buy cork tiles, easier to work with and a lot cheaper!
arctica

Post by arctica »

heh ok, but i got tonnes of old cds which are being used as coasters now !!. But i'll have a look into cork tiles :).
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

Ever tried to work with cds? They are not very handy to cut and get into the right shape.

With cork you can do wonderful things. Just take a stroll on Cmon (or here for that matter!) and see what you can do with cork.

Heck, there might even be a tutorial somewhere!
Ana
Painting Mum
Painting Mum

Post by Ana »

I agree with Skrit and Demi_ ...

IMHO your work needs more highlights. Quality presented is really good, especially the transitions :clap:
I like the higlighting on the tunic (but unfortunately I see it only on the front :( )
If you don't want to try matt armor with bone colors, I suggest you to do the shadow from white with addition of faded blue or black-purple - Add one of colors you used on mini.
-- Ańa

BrokenWingZ

Post by BrokenWingZ »

I like it.. over all its a nice gaming model .. the gems turned out really nice to.. i have a hard time with them myself
illusionrip
Sonny Crockett

Post by illusionrip »

agree with all(s)
good transition, more highlight

it seems your layer are a bit to thick....may be it's because you don't use enough water in your first layers

for you rbase color try, to put 3 layers of diluted colors (1 volme of paint for 4 volume of water), then you will have a very thin base to begin your highlights and shades