Golden Demons 2011: Slayer sword winners + opinions

Golden Demons and all the other miniature painting competitions and events
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Golden Demons 2011: Slayer sword winners + opinions

Post by mahon »

Have you seen the Slayer Sword winners of Golden Demon 2011 contests? We asked several recognized painters to comment on these excellent entries, so if you want to read what they told, simply read on: Golden Demons 2011: Clash of Slayer Sword winners

Thanks sea.man!
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: Golden Demons 2011: Slayer sword winners + opinions

Post by sea.man »

Thank you for putting it all together on the main site!
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

It was 95-99% your work, I only did some formatting and uploading. Thanks once more :clap:
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
DAGabriel

Post by DAGabriel »

I really like the "13th Hour" and had seen it on coolminiornot, where it vanished after some heated discussion about the scenery. R.Tremblay named the scenery scratch built even if the house is a model by Tabletop-World (you can see the unruined original in my showcase thread) and many guys thought that was a violation of the GD-Rules.
Nevertheless it is a burner of a model, i like the action in it, it has got many focus points and you can spend a lot of time with it and every minute you discover something new. Excepting the points above in my eyes it is the best because of its epic composition.
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

All entires are done to such amazing level, that I really admire all the authors. If it comes to choosing only one, it is easy for my and I choose Matt's work.
It is so fresh, so new, so imaginative and the story it tells... Great job Matt! It is a pitty, you will be in jury next year, because I wish to see more from you :)
miniatures painted:
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

some interesting opinions, thanks for the article sea.man!
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Bexley
Usually in a hurry

Post by Bexley »

Does GW selectively enforce their rules? I really loved Remy's piece as well, but it clearly has a giant resin house made by another manufacturer in it. And looking in the WD that just came out, one of the US 1st place Warhammer entries is on a Scibor base.

I almost entered the US GDs last year. (I found out only a month before that I was going to be there, and despite two hotel room all-nighters, I failed to complete my diorama in time. On the bright side, it won 2nd place diorama at GenCon a week later, losing to Angela Imrie's piece which got Best in Show. I don't know what the margin of victory was, but I'm choosing to interpret that as "2nd Best in Show." :)) I was so worried about soending all this time and getting disqualified, I didn't even use pre-made rivets, and hand made all the ones I used. I shelled out fifteen bucks for the Battlefield Accessories kit, just for the jerry can and barrel, despite having about thirty of each from Tamiya. Two days out, I realized that the Plastruct stairs I used might be construed as another manufacturer's items, and freaked out. (In my head, the stairs were no different than Plastruct styrene strips or plastic card, so it didn't occur to me.)

This year, I already know I'll be going to Games Day again, so I've already started my entries. And since I don't want to take any risks, I'm scratch building everything that isn't GW. So it really irks me to see others disregard this and then still win, regardless of how good their pieces are.
Bexley
Usually in a hurry

Post by Bexley »

Also, I just noticed that one of the LotR winners used the Citadel trees. That one's an iffy call, though.
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Bexley check the post from DAGabriel up. He says that the building was from Tabletop World.
I think that making such rules that you can't verify is just stupid. No one knows all the products from all producers, so how GD judges can quickly verify entries?
miniatures painted:
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

Bexley wrote:Does GW selectively enforce their rules?
generally speaking - yes :)
Games Day is a busy day, people behind the contest probably don't have chances to check every element on every entry, which makes this specific rule rather void.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================