Lightning at desk

What good is a nice miniature if you don't know how to show it?
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Re: Lightning at desk

Post by mahon »

not sure. we have silly regulations for almost everything, so it is possible that they're not available here :lol:
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Szary

Post by Szary »

I dedided io invest into desk lamp from Daylight Company. I will try to write simle review of it and put some first impressions.
Szary

Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

you better show us pics of minis painted under that new lamp :P
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Barton

Post by Barton »

Would people be interested in me posting my setup with my Ott lamps??????? It is pretty cool...
Barton Stano
GameMaster of Pulp RPG using Hero System
Rat Rancher (rat ranching had better be fun, it sure ain't profitable)
learning to paint and sculpt
Lombard, IL USA
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

sure :)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Barton

Post by Barton »

Ott light.
The best IMHO!!!!

web page USA: http://www.ottlite.com/
web page UK: https://www.ottlite.co.uk/
THEY do sell in UK, not clear from the webpage if they ship to the continent. If in USA, Hobby Lobby carries them and they often have 40% off one item coupons also. Check out USA web page for scratch and dent items, big savings. Sign up to get the newsletter, then wait a short while, they will send you a 10% off entire first purchase (and as of today in USA free shipping if >$99 USD purchase).

I LOVE THEM. I disagree with people above who say lamp bulb is the only important part. Only half true. To get full spectrum you are correct. A good LAMP is also important (does it last, no humming, low temp, good warranty). If you have no money, then the bulb is the important part, but if you want to spend cash once a Ott light is a good investment. Ott sells bulbs also!!! Check them out!!!

I own THREE Ott Lamps!! I have them positioned around my work area to give me a great amount of light from different angles. The different angles I believe is the key! And my wife just ordered 3 more lamps today (if in USA check out scratch and dent section).

The large one is the Craft Plus Floor Lamp (regular price is $209 USD). This lamp is over 15 years old. All of my Ott lights are quiet, low temp, no flicker. Only disadvantage you can not put on a dimmer switch.
I have two table models the GX7825 (13W equal to incand. 60W) (equal to The Learning Light® - regular price $49.95 USD ON SALE now buy two pay for one!!!! - http://www.ottlite.com/c-39-desktable.aspx?pagenum=2 )

(all the photos below were taken with a point and shoot Kodak Easy Share M380 - 5x optical and 10.2Megapixels on the sport setting; photos were cropped and edited in Picasa 3)

The photos below will show the layout of my work area (we call it the gun room):

ImageClick to see full-sized image
My closet, games and ammo. My wife and I are avid target shooters, we punch holes in paper with high speed copper jacketed lead projectiles.

We reload our ammo, this is our reloading press, saves money. But as the joke goes, you just end up shooting more for the same amount of money.

Raw material for the reloading press.

Work area for my paint/sculpting. The floor lamp is in foreground, note the movable/bendable light with hood.

The actual work area with the three lights on. Note the room has very little natural light, so these lamps are very useful.
Barton Stano
Lombard, IL USA
Barton

Post by Barton »

Got the three new lamps today. The desk lamp was a scratch and dent, with the exception of a slightly (and I mean slightly) non-regular shade it was perfect. I am very happy with the scratch and dent (to people in UK e-mail them and see if you can take advantage of that).
Barton Stano
Lombard, IL USA
Judging_Jester
(Forum newbie)

Post by Judging_Jester »

there's a lot of food for thought here. I do all my painting in the evening and my lighting is awful which really doesn't help. You'd think they'd sell this sort of gear in modelling shops but so far I haven't seen any lamps in the UK at least.

perhaps ebay or amazon can help!