removing finger prints

How to convert or sculpt a miniature? How to make a decent base or even a full diorama?!
pigadol

removing finger prints

Post by pigadol »

Hi, I've been practicing my sculpting for almost a year now, check out our blog for my latest sculpt: http://wearethebasterds.blogspot.com/20 ... lpted.html

Now, here's my problem, there are some parts that I cant really smooth out with my colour shapers, and I read in some articles that they have something that you can just "wipe" to remove the finger prints in the model?

Any other tips to improve my sculpting?

thanks you so much. I really learned a lot on this forums... :-)
Last edited by pigadol on 1 Sep 2011, o 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Trovarion

Re: removing finger prints

Post by Trovarion »

could you provide a link to where it says "whipe"? i dont know what they mean there.

what can you do to inprove your sculpting:

I think your sculpts need a bit of what I call "sophistication" - you know, everything is there: something that looks like a nose is there, something that's meant to be an arm is there, something that looks like armor plates, etc.

if you take the nid plates then what you did is: put on a bit of GS, made it round, pushed it flat, pushed 5 lines in it with somethinging like a GW tool and done. It's a very basic way of sculpting and they eye - which is used to natural things being rather complex in surface and features will not be convinced.

now you have got to ask yourself if that level of detail is enough for you or not.
draconmagis

Post by draconmagis »

i think they mean using a wet finger to rub lightly over the surface will remove finger prints and that is true to and extent. try and find some clay shapers (rubber tip tools) those are the best for smoothing putty.

i would add to trovarions advice by adding; slow down and work on one part of the model at a time until the putty becomes to hard to sculpt then let it dry and come back to start on another part this will give you the time to detail each area sufficiency. work with small amounts of clay/putty so you don't feel pressured to use what you have mixed.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

these are nice sculpts, but just like Trov I must say that they're a bit on the simple side. They have all the details but they're still below the standards of miniatures released these days. So these are a good step toward achieving the right quality and detailing, but you need some more practice to get there. You're done with the techniques, the basics, and are doing very well with your sculpting so you should move on to another level of complexity.

My suggestion would be to keep some kind of concept art in front of you while you sculpt and try to reflect all the details which are there with your sculpting. It's quite a common problem of many artists that they are able to sculpt/draw/paint something but the image they have in their imagination is simplified, so only by looking at some kind of detailed reference they can add more details to make it more realistic.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
pigadol

Post by pigadol »

Thanks you guys so much for all the comments. I'll just keep on practicing to make it better.

BTW, do you guys have any Videos that you recommend I can buy about sculpting? just to know a bit of me, I don't have a fine arts background, so additional referrence would be helpful, and sometimes reading is not enough...

thanks again...