Tutorial: Easy rock/desert base.

How to convert or sculpt a miniature? How to make a decent base or even a full diorama?!
ToMaZ
Expects too much, too

Tutorial: Easy rock/desert base.

Post by ToMaZ »

I have made a rock/desert base tutorial that's really easy to do. Ideal for warbands, small armies etc. With some extra work you can use it for showcase pieces too.

What you need:

All you really need is a bit of Milliput, a couple of sculpting tools, a knife and possible some toothpicks.

ImageClick to see full-sized image

Step 1

I start with adding a small ball of Milliput on the base and flatten it out across the whole surface with my finger and a bit of water. Don't use too much water because it will make the Milliput too soft to work with. You want it to hold it's shape, while still being easy and smooth to work with.

Step 2

Take your flat sculpting tool and start carving horizontal lines into the milliput. Try to be a bit random. Try out couple of angles, make some lines a bit deeper, closer together or further apart, add some holes...

For this one I stopped here. The work on the base itself took me less than 10 minutes. If you want you can add texture with a small stone. Just press is into the milliput slightly. You can add some rocks to break up the surface a bit. Add some vegetation etc...

I have another series of pictures and the basics are the same, but on this one I used the blunt rounded side of the GW sculpting tool. After the shaping added some texture with a small pebble and edges with a sharp sculpting tool.

Now these are very basic, and you can go as far and as big with this as you want. Let your imagination run wild :D

* I will update with some painted bases .
---ToMaZ---

Try honesty...