Help with varnishing and painting gold

Everything from sanding and priming to varnishing!
DrPompo
(Forum newbie)

Help with varnishing and painting gold

Post by DrPompo »

Hello,

i am an amateur painter with a few miniatures, mainly lizardmen, that i have painted or am painting right now. Im having a few issues and i don't know where to go for help, i hope its okay that im asking here.

firstly, when im painting, some of the paint comes off, particularily on edges or ends that stick out. I do prime my minis and try to coat them through a few layers but it still happens and i dont know why.

my second issue is that, when im finished i move on to varnishing. i used to do it with a spray, but now i use a brush and a bottle of matt or gloss varnish depending on the situation. after they dry i store my minis on a box that is rarely even moved, but when i get back and open it, some of the minis have lost some paint, also on edges mostly (like it got chipped or something). I dont know if its a storage problem im not yet aware of or if im varnishing wrongly, any advice or pointer would be GREATLY appreciated. its really driving me crazy by now cos i feel that all my work and detail is lost.

finally, most of my lizardmen armour i do in gold, but the nicer ones i do in non metallic bronze and dry brush some gold for detail. But the problem im having is, when i use auric armour gold, as it felt way too liquid and soapy, i started with a layer of yellow (i imagine this is how it should be done idk) but i just find it really hard to apply it properly to my minis, if you have any tips with this i would also appreciate it.

also, another extra question. i know enamel paint is no where near as useful as acrylic for this matters, but i used to use it and i have a few questions about it that i never understood. after i varnished it, it just kindapeeled or chipped away with time for no reason. any idea what couldve caused it?

well, thank you so much in advance for any tips, specially with the first two points since they are extremely frustrating for me. I know im a noob painter, i dont wanna bother or piss any of you so im sorry if this is just stupid questions on the wrong place but idk who to consult now.
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: Help with varnishing and painting gold

Post by sea.man »

DrPompo wrote:Hello,
Welcome!
DrPompo wrote: i am an amateur painter with a few miniatures, mainly lizardmen, that i have painted or am painting right now. Im having a few issues and i don't know where to go for help, i hope its okay that im asking here.
It is the perfect place to ask questions :)
DrPompo wrote: firstly, when im painting, some of the paint comes off, particularily on edges or ends that stick out. I do prime my minis and try to coat them through a few layers but it still happens and i dont know why.
Do you wash your minis before primig them? They are usually dirty from the moulds and with fat/sweat from fingers. I always wash my minis in warm water with a brush and soap. Here is an example: http://chestofcolors.com/painting-hell- ... s-tutorial
What primer do you use?
Do you dilute you paints before putting them on a miniature? Then the paint isn't that thick.
DrPompo wrote: my second issue is that, when im finished i move on to varnishing. i used to do it with a spray, but now i use a brush and a bottle of matt or gloss varnish depending on the situation. after they dry i store my minis on a box that is rarely even moved, but when i get back and open it, some of the minis have lost some paint, also on edges mostly (like it got chipped or something). I dont know if its a storage problem im not yet aware of or if im varnishing wrongly, any advice or pointer would be GREATLY appreciated. its really driving me crazy by now cos i feel that all my work and detail is lost.
I would say it is a storage problem. I store my miniatures either in cases with a foam or I magnetize them, either with a:
DrPompo wrote: finally, most of my lizardmen armour i do in gold, but the nicer ones i do in non metallic bronze and dry brush some gold for detail. But the problem im having is, when i use auric armour gold, as it felt way too liquid and soapy, i started with a layer of yellow (i imagine this is how it should be done idk) but i just find it really hard to apply it properly to my minis, if you have any tips with this i would also appreciate it.
Do you use Games workshop paints? I do and I say that gold paints from GW are very liquid. That is why I have to put about 3 layers of it. Usually like you I do it on a brown basecoat or 50% brown +50% gold. Then I wash the golden parts with griphone sephia to make more contrast. then you can hihglight it with gold and silver on the edges.
DrPompo wrote: also, another extra question. i know enamel paint is no where near as useful as acrylic for this matters, but i used to use it and i have a few questions about it that i never understood. after i varnished it, it just kindapeeled or chipped away with time for no reason. any idea what couldve caused it?
I don't use enamel, so I can't help you. But maybe it could be the dirtiness problem?
DrPompo wrote: well, thank you so much in advance for any tips, specially with the first two points since they are extremely frustrating for me. I know im a noob painter, i dont wanna bother or piss any of you so im sorry if this is just stupid questions on the wrong place but idk who to consult now.
No worries, we all are on a quest to become a better painter :) Post your miniatures and if you are painting an army maybe you could start your own tale of gamer viewforum.php?f=68 ?
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
DrPompo
(Forum newbie)

Post by DrPompo »

thank you so much for the reply.

Storage might be a problem as you say, because although it is rarely moved, it is not a coushony space to vibrations can have an effect.

i do not wash my minis before priming them, i never quite understood how to do it properly or what it was about. thanks for the comment on that.

since im adviced not to touch the minature at akll some people are telling me to paint with corks (which i do, but not when the mini has a lot of separate parts) and they have recomended that i should asemble first, put it on a cork and then paint, but isnt this more uncomfortable?

also, should i post a few pictures here, or did you mean in another thread?
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

DrPompo wrote: since im adviced not to touch the minature at akll some people are telling me to paint with corks (which i do, but not when the mini has a lot of separate parts) and they have recomended that i should asemble first, put it on a cork and then paint, but isnt this more uncomfortable?
I always assemble and cork my minis, sometimes I also base them and then stick with a bluetack to the cork. I would say it is more comfortable and also later you won't see the glue and you can fill the holes between the parts.
DrPompo wrote: also, should i post a few pictures here, or did you mean in another thread?
Better to post them in own thread :)
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22