feedback wanted

Everything from sanding and priming to varnishing!
trobwal
(Forum newbie)

feedback wanted

Post by trobwal »

this is my first try at wetblending acryl...

Done it on an old heroqeust mini so i have plenty more to practice on....

i've looked up a few articles and video's about wet blending and had to try it out....

I'm verry pleased with the result but could be that your critic's eye can judge my efforts better than myself....

ImageClick to see full-sized image

the finest thing in life come for free
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Re: feedback wanted

Post by Hellspawn »

Well, looking at the mini, I'd say you did ok. Skin lacks shadows, but besides that, I don't see anything bad.
trobwal
(Forum newbie)

Post by trobwal »

ok... so need more shadow on skin.... have done some with brown but not sure this has the right effect...
it's better visual in reality...
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

Colors are placed, now you just need to paint the shadows and the highlights
Flagg

Post by Flagg »

What kind of paints are you using?

So far looks like you've "block painted" the base colors, but haven't highlighted or shaded yet. Is that right?

There's some shine on the skin, so hard to tell if you've done highlighting there yet.

EDIT: I just looked more carefully and it does appear you've got some shading in a couple of spots, but it's VERY subtle.
trobwal
(Forum newbie)

Post by trobwal »

yeah there is shading done on the flesh with some brown mixed with flesh color..... but indeed i didn't want to overdo it for my first try... need to learn wich colors i can use for the shades..... someone told me for the flesh i need to use burnt sienna..... other site's state i should use a 3:1 mix of brown and red..... this mini is a trial so still can do some changes on it... really want to get this right cuz i think it's verry usefull for larger figures where washing and highlighting just won't do the trick.....

tnx for the help in advance.... i'm learning a lot here.....
Flagg

Post by Flagg »

Here's a decent tutorial for flesh shading by GirlPainting. It's more on the simple side, and doesn't get into layering and blending too much. But, to get started, I'd say it's a good one...

http://youtu.be/-lSt0fzWdP4

It's actually a tut about painting a barbarian mini to "table top" quality (as opposed to say "display quality"). She shares some good foundational techniques (washes and highlighting), IMO. She starts into the flesh highlighting portion at about 14:50.

FWIW, GirlPainting has quite a lot of good tutorials. So, I'd recommend checking out some of her other stuff too. She explains everything very well. Her teaching style reminds me a little of Bob Ross. :D
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

Nice to see people painitng these old minis :D
Sadly never had any opportunity to play Warhammer Quest / Heroquest. Oh well...

I think the model is good start: smooth and clean base layers, Now you can paint some shadows and re-post :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

you definitely need to be more bold with shading. as of now, it looks like you have base colours only, which kind of makes the whole exercise redundant. what do you need wetblending for, if there is no difference between shadow and highlight? The whole point of blending (regardless of a method) is to provide a smooth transition between the two colours or shades.
it's a clean paintjob, probably enough for table-top gaming. but, I suppose you want something more than that. so, find a courage in your heart and show us some SERIOUS contrast :) good luck!

EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8492&start=20
just found this, take a look how Skraal tries to build up the contrast on the very same mini you are painting.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
trobwal
(Forum newbie)

Post by trobwal »

ok i tried something else..... like a face.....had my new mini come in this week and started with the skin..... find that the hardest to do so if that works it's only good for my motivation..... taken it very slow......

but i think i got it now.....

please say what u think of this.....

tnx for the help guys... really appreciate it....