Problem with base coated

Everything from sanding and priming to varnishing!
mikotan26

Problem with base coated

Post by mikotan26 »

As Im still new for painting, i came across problem with apply coat on my miniature. Need help/tips on applying base coated, I always diluted my paint before I put on my miniature.
but then the problem with base coated doesnt stick on the miniature every well after the first layer, primer color are still visible. SO am i diluted the paint too much? or should i just apply 2nd layer of base coated on the top of it? or i should just move on and do highlight with lighter color?
(I am using MC paints)
Thanks
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: Problem with base coated

Post by sea.man »

If you dilute the paint, and this is very good, it means that you have to put many layers. It is hard to give the ratio, because the paints vary. I don't have any MC. But for typical GW paints ratio 1/1 ... 1/3 (paint/water) is ok for the first layers on the base coat.
I would say, first try to cover the base coat with first layer and then move to highlights/shadows.
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
p1per

Re: Problem with base coated

Post by p1per »

It usually takes me 2-3 coats for the basecoat and even then it might not be 100% opaque but that really doesn't matter because you will be adding a handful of highlight/shadows layers which will deal with it. Depending on your style of painting there's even a "technique" called transparent basecoating (or something like that :D) where you specifically leave the white(!) primer shine through the to-be-highlighted-spots to achieve brighter light and make it easier for white/top highlights not to be chalky.

For dilution (GW and P3 colors) I use about the following ratios (might vary here and there but that's my general rule of thumb)

Basecoat: [1 : 1-2] Water : Paint
Glazes: [2 : 1 ] Water : Paint