ResuHellspawN paints anything

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
ResuHellspawN

Re: ResuHellspawN paints anything

Post by ResuHellspawN »

Thanks, Maru for your franchising (is it the right word?).
I've posted very old minis for this reason: to show who I am and where I come from.
I'm a player. I'd love to be something else but that's who I am.
I play MANY SYSTEMS but I like Mordheim because that's the first miniature game I've tried in my life.
I've played Helldorado, Infinity, Alkemy and others but I always come back to Mordheim... nostalgia, I guess...

It's kinda hard for me to paint on large bases impossible to use in a game.
I think my level doesn't diserve a showcase base but I'm affraid without this kind of base, I'll never force me to paint beyond my limits, beyond the "good tabletop standard" I used to practice.

Like I said, there's nobody around me to motivate me in this way... I live in the middle of nowhere. My neighbours don't even know what a miniature game may be and my friends only know that because they know me! I'm isolated here. Nobody to learn from.

Considering that, I've been quite happy to reach the level I've reached but I realized some months ago that I was probably capable to do much better minis. I want it. I'm not so far to make a giant step in my painting skills, I'm sure about it. But I don't know where to start.

Your suggestion about the bases isn't stupid... showcase bases are intimidating for me. To force me to paint for "exposure" (is it the right word?) using a base like that could be the key.

I think I'll try. If you (you= you, Maru but anybody else too!) have some other hints to help me to cross the step between game mini and exposure mini, feel free to talk.

This forum will have the exclusivity of my first exposure mini WIP, I promise! One day...

Oh, another thing, sorry: EXCUSE MY BAD ENGLISH... I make what I can but I'm a french teacher in love with french who feels guilty of treason when writing english! :D
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Je suis français et je ne me sent pas coupable d'écrire en anglais :D
Ariakas

Post by Ariakas »

Well, the solution isn't so hard.
Is there a painting competition anywhere close from you? Even a GW store could work.
If there isn't, you can always pick a mini you like from your collection and decide to try and paint it to competition standards. Or even, if the transition from gaming to painting is to harsh, just paint it on a gaming level but focusing on improving one part up to comp standards (like better metallics, better blending and so on...)

Many people from this forum can and will be happy to give you advices and criticize your work :)
ResuHellspawN

Post by ResuHellspawN »

Ariakas wrote:Many people from this forum can and will be happy to give you advices and criticize your work :)
Exactly what I need!
Exactement ce dont j'ai besoin!
Hellspawn wrote:Je suis français et je ne me sent pas coupable d'écrire en anglais :D
D'un autre côté, toi, tu fais moins de fautes en anglais, cousin! ("je ne me senS")... :lol:
Sans rancune, mais je n'ai pas pu m'en empêcher!

Aaaaarh! Et moi qui, comme un crétin, n'ai même pas regardé les origines géographiques de chacun de vous auparavant! :doh:
Je suis belge francophone (wallon, quoi!) et content de trouver ici des voisins... mais j'imagine que l'on est quand même minoritaires, non, nous autres francophones?
Du coup, we'll have to continue in english to show a bit of respect to other members... :dance:
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Well, I wasn't sure hehehe :)
And yeah, frenchies are a real minority here :)
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

was counting on Mahon mentor .. but well you mey not gett all you whant :P
It's kinda hard for me to paint on large bases impossible to use in a game.
a scenic base with socet is your solution :)
I think my level doesn't diserve a showcase base but I'm affraid without this kind of base, I'll never force me to paint beyond my limits, beyond the "good tabletop standard" I used to practice.
bla bla bla - is not you who decide if your painting "deserv" or not, it is up to Viuers - your job is to make this scenic base end mini end put it under judgment
- it mey ends with "this base is to poor for this mini" or " best part of this mini is the base" - but you will not know tilt you make it end show us
Nobody to learn from.
ther is alvays internet or some neyber artist who actualypaint on canvas - not same scale but he propably got some intresting cnowlege about colors end composicion - geting out of the box usualy helps a lot
Your suggestion about the bases isn't stupid... showcase bases are intimidating for me. To force me to paint for "exposure" (is it the right word?) using a base like that could be the key.
Dunno for "Szczurek" base is main goal end mini is just exciuse :roll: end exposure is a fotography term aplaing to light afecting matrix or celuloid photo film
I think I'll try. If you (you= you, Maru but anybody else too!) have some other hints to help me to cross the step between game mini and exposure mini, feel free to talk.
o a lot of but you need to set goal first (it mey be eny goal but concret 1 simply i whant to be better is good but dont actualy help you or us to add precize tips as the area of help is realy whide )
This forum will have the exclusivity of my first exposure mini WIP, I promise! One day...
you realy whana make exposure of mini ?? i heard of exposure of photography but well you will be first to do so :P
(try X radiation it actualy mey Works .... in terms of Exposure .. :bonk: )
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
ResuHellspawN

Post by ResuHellspawN »

Okay... my next mini (except this Garden of Morr I'm about to finish) will be a skaven rat ogre who waits to be painted for... 4 years?
This large mini will be the good moment to try to complete my first goal: better lights and shadows and a bit more "life". I mean, my minis look like well painted plastic toys.
They need to breathe. I'll try to give this rat ogre an agressive and primal look.
If I was able to paint smoother, this would be cool, too!
It's supposed to be a part of a Skaven warband, then my base will be a playable one but I'll try to push it to another level too!
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Can't wait to see the pic of your rat ogre :)
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

hym i t have to be just "quick replay" but nop :P
first of some music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8-ItRoHJM0
as we get rdy :) with miusic we go to the point
ImageClick to see full-sized image
o end yes thats Borys Vallejo
so what the point to show you this :
inspiration end shamles rip of his awesome tech
look at skin why it looks so real - it reflect colors of surondings end add its own colors to it so think about base for rat ogr - what color it wil be it wil bwe in warm colors or in cold 1 - thats all maters
look how colorful skin actualy is from skini tones to reds , purples . greens oranges , end all other colors - dont make your rat ogr in "pig pink" color

look gow on 1 pictuare autor achived a warm atnum atmosphere
end on secound cold futuristic one - all is in colors end light - first 1 got soft light end another strong direct 1
look how warm are all things on third picyure end how strong end key erlement is cat head in cold blue colors
another 1 is all about light end temperature - moustly reflected light

monochromatic next 1 cal it "driadas" isa all about light end saturacion - get this end combine with B/W lesson

next 1 chick in the rain - look like purple suronding make skin purple end how Boris Valleho made a green a key element to lead an eye of beholder as he wishes - not stright in to the boobis but to the face !

another below - well i dont need to explain why i posted that - just look at the skin (bouth of them )

another 1
skin is fine but look atthous reach greens in shadows in shadows of orange hued skin - thats complementary colors wich mean they are opsite to echoders end combined they give yoiu black

last 1 like with above works suronding got huge impact on character end as before - all colors apear in Mid tones so your goal is to get 70% on mini in mid tones end 15% / 15% only on dep shadows / extreme highlights

Whooo Hooo so much Boobis on begining to work with :D
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
ResuHellspawN

Post by ResuHellspawN »

Yes, Vallejo. Why not... I know "The sky is the limit" but I'll have to rent a plane for such a challenge. Let's be modest and let's admit you want me to find inspiration in this work!
I like the way to paint the skin of the monster of this pic, it would be pretty unhealthy to paint my rat ogre like that.
I've got a question: if I had the skill to paint such a skin for my mutant, what colour would you imagine for the hairs of this mutant? Nothing too hot because this would limit the effect of the skin, I suppose... and how to avoid to use a color too close of the skin tones if I use cold ones... ???