true scale plague marine WIP

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
draconmagis

true scale plague marine WIP

Post by draconmagis »

i never really liked the whole plague marine scheme but i did some true scale chaos marines and i thought id try one of each faction.

i used WFB warriors of chaos and CSM gits for the conversions so they do look a little off. also for the past few months i have been focusing on sculpting so im dusting off my brushes to get into the painting mood again

so this is my only try at a plague marine any suggestions?

ImageClick to see full-sized image
Marek

Re: true scale plague marine WIP

Post by Marek »

It looks so... heavy... and impressionistic... (?)
I'm somewhere in between of totally liking him and totally disliking.
The overall impression is positive, but the spots of different colors look a little too random.
*** de gustibus non est disputandum ***
draconmagis

Post by draconmagis »

which spots look random?

i can change it still
Marek

Post by Marek »

Well, I meant that the different colors you have used, and there is plenty of them on each surface, are placed, I don't know how to call it, without justification. I'm looking at the second picture now, the mini from its left side. The belt and the pants have some green marks which are neither highlights, nor shadows, nor do they look like camouflage. They also do not define the color of the fabric, because the rest is just plain grey. The front of the right leg also does not give a hint where does the light come from. The armour (shoulderpads) looks like being stained.

Maybe the mini looks better in real size, here the pics are zoomed quite heavily, I don't know.
This is a style of painting where the overall impression is OK, but when it comes to details, the very things people are usually working on, ie. smoothness of the transitions, strong contrast, blacklining to define neighbouring parts - all of these are missing. That is what I meant by "impressionistic" :)

But the mood is OK, the guy is dirty, chaotic to the core :evil: You don't have to change anything and you will sure find people who will love it without comments.
*** de gustibus non est disputandum ***
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

I like the glowing on the plasmagun and on his eyes. It looks very realistic and convincing!

Unfortunately the armor looks pretty sloppy and not neat enough for my taste. Maybe you are going to change it with some contouring, but for now it looks too illegible to me.
Most Nurgle models I liked were painted in a very neat and precise way with precisely applied damage and dirt. This one (at this moment) looks like it all is pretty random and made in a hit-or-miss method.

But I believe that's still a WIP and when it's finished it will look much neater!
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector