GD Baltimore 2009 results

Golden Demons and all the other miniature painting competitions and events
LadyEyes
the List-mistress

GD Baltimore 2009 results

Post by LadyEyes »

So... Neolis was a sweetie and took a LOT of time to take photos of every demon winning entry, and I've spent a few hours working on the photos to get around the HORRIBLE plexi-glass he had to take pictures through.... only to have this sight pointed out to me today. :evil:

Apparently this guy got to take pictures in the real photo set-up behind the cases. :suicide: :rifle:

So, there you are.

Here's my thoughts on having seen this stuff live. Much like we saw in GD France, there were not many of the big names here and the overall quality of the competition shows it.

Now, let me be clear -- what won demons deserved to win from what was entered. I am not saying anyone there didn't deserve their demons. Not at all. It was actually nice to see that some very worthy painters got a chance to show off without having to stand in the shadows of people like Tom Schadle, Jeremie Bounamont, etc. These folks worked hard, and they turned out some very :!: fine pieces.

However, these pieces would not stand up against the big names in Europe. Then again, I think we saw things taking demons in France that surprised more than a few people. I think we've all gotten spoiled by the really big names doing crazy, jaw-dropping pieces and travelling all over to enter them.

I'm hoping several of the folks I saw this weekend will get to be the next wave of big names over here. There were several that looked very promising to be in the next set of those, and I'm going to be cheering pretty hard for them.

I am also surprised to see what took the Slayer. (didn't stay for awards) While this unit was very cool, I can name at least two things I thought were better. I honestly thought it would be what took gold 40k vehicle or what took gold in 40k monster. I personally thought the tank was EASILY better than the unit entry, and the Avatar was at least equal if not better. But, that's just me and I was seeing all of this under CRAPTASTIC lighting and really old, heavily scratched plexi-glass.
"I like gypsy moths and radio talk
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything"
Szary

RE: GD Baltimore 2009 results

Post by Szary »

Thanks for comment Lady. Is there any list of names with titles off entries? I haven`t found any yet.
Szary

WilliamWolfes

Post by WilliamWolfes »

It's rly sad what you say here Lady :S I was thinking it's look a bit better ;/
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

thanks for pics LE :)
indeed I've seen much better gd entries before but nevertheless there are many damn cool works here!

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

thanks for report, Tanya.
I'm too surprised with slayer sword. I don't want to question judges' decision (would have to see minis in person to do that), but it seems that there were many better entries. Pics were made by the same person, under the same conditions, right?
Anyway, many cool works. Olliekickflip FTW!
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

Interesting take on the GD, Tanya...
Thanks for sharing.

I was not impressed with many of the entries, but after seeing works at the French GD impressing me became more difficult before. Of course this may be a matter of taste, or a matter of quality of the photos. But judging from what I've seen - there were many better GDs, even in the US alone.

Many works were very good, some really interesting, but what I've seen made me think that the gap between France and Poland is not the only one, and a similar one is present between France and the US. Not meant to offend anybody, just to praise the quality and imagination of some artists I really admire!

What surprised me was the complaints that the judges were biased toward dark and sinister painting. Just like some people couldn't bear the fact they didn't win.
Guys, the judges decided there were better works - live with it or don't enter the contest. Many people chose the second option already...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

I think thats half the battle in some respects when it comes to competitions, everyone's opinions are different. Oh well still some nice work, echo'ing the other opinions here, also some very dubious awards but still some good effort into the work.

I particularly like in the honourable mentions section the ogre maid very amusing ;) but i like both the nightlords squad and Ana's unit. Still im in agreement with nameless Olliekickflip ftw for sure.
Neolis

Post by Neolis »

ok first they let some one behind the case?!?!? Grr I spent that time taking the pictures and delt with people being pushy behind me.

Mahon I think its more of thing that in the halls lighting the details on the darker pieces just could not be seen. Me and Lady Eyes commented on why one or two minis won their places. When I put the camara to the mini light adjusted and zoomed a world of stuff poped out. Best example I can give is the palm print on the lord of the rings beserker just couldn't be seen with out my camara. I can't fault that fact that people are judging the minis based upon what they could see.

With that said I did enter my first of what I am sure is going to be more Games Day and I fully blame Lady Eyes for that. Oh and it was nothing all that good as I had 12 hour notice that I was going.
If it wasn't for the gutter my mind would be homeless.
"She bears the scarlet letter, her skin as soft as feathers, her demeanor tough as leather."
LadyEyes
the List-mistress

Post by LadyEyes »

Slayer Sword:
Dylan Gauker- Mutants of Nurgle

Warhammer 40,000 Single Miniature
Gold: Jason Thompson- Kroot Tracker
Silver: Krill Zhilkov- The Purge SM
Bronze: Zach Lanler- Commisar Yarrick

Warhammer 40,000 Squad
Gold: Greg Smalling- Night Lords Vet.
Silver: Ana Machowska- Dark Angels
Bronze: Dave Taylor- Blood Pact Reaver Squad

Warhammer 40,000 Vehicle
Gold: Yuri Chineuov- Wave Serpent
Silver: Dave Taylor- Blood Pact Valdor
Bronze: Andrew Wylre- Death Korps

Warhammer 40,000 Large Monster
Gold: Aaron Lovejoy: Avatar
Silver: Jessica Rich- Death Rider of Krieg
Bronze: Dylan Gauker- Hound of Khorne

Warhammer Single Miniature
Gold: Aaron Lovejoy- Masque of Slanesh
Silver: Dylan Gauker- Necromancer
Bronze: Jessica RIch- High Elf Mage on Leopard

Warhammer Regiment
Gold: Dylan Gauker- Mutants of Nurgle
Silver: Joe Orteza- Chotek Chargers
Bronze: Chad Patrick- Chosen Warriors of Khorne

Warhammer Monster
Gold: Andrew Cromwell- Ogre Bull
Silver: Dylan Gauker- Spawn of Slaanesh
Bronze: Steve Fields- Snik Snak Skaven Giant

The Lord of The Rings Singe Miniature
Gold: Dylan Gauker- Berserker
Silver: Zach Lanler- Celeborn
Bronze: Aaron Lovejoy- Galadriel

Diorama
Gold: Rick Janney- Gotrek vs Thog (one eyed troll)
Silver: Danny Prejoles- Tau Piranha attacked by Lictor
Bronze: Andy Rogers- Duel SM vs Ork Warboss

Large Model
Gold: Angel Elgort Space Wolf Bust
Silver: Dave Taylor- Trooper Lucky McGee
Bronze: John Mougiotta- Abbadon

The Youngbloods Competition
Gold: Carmelo Varela- SM Apothecary
Silver: Antoni Gierczale- Ork Nob
Bronze: Ethan Gage- Legolas

The Open Competition
Gold: Andrew Cromwell- Space Wolf Terminator
Silver: Bennett Blalock-Doane- Dechalya Daemon of Slaanesh
Bronze: Dave Taylor- Blood Pact Stalk tank

Forge World Best of Show:
Aaron Lovejoy- Avatar of Khaine

8)
"I like gypsy moths and radio talk
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything"
WilliamWolfes

Post by WilliamWolfes »

http://www.sodemons.com/gd29baltimore/ link to all pictures from Baltimore.