Ultramarines - my best so far!

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
Moonweasel

Ultramarines - my best so far!

Post by Moonweasel »

Thought I'd show off a couple models. These are my gaming minis - so far, I've yet to paint anything purely for a showcase. This is my best work to date; please feel free to leave any criticism or commentary.

(P.S. SL are my initials, and Arkion is my name on another forum - no worries, I didn't steal anyone's art! :D )

ImageClick to see full-sized image

mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

RE: Ultramarines - my best so far!

Post by mahon »

Last two photos would definitely be my favorites in this batch. Especially on the first of them the tank looks nicely weathered. Not overdone but believable for me. I simply can believe that such kind of dirt and weathering would be possible on a vehicle after some combat situations.

The painting could be a bit neater - for example the checkers on the last photos seem a bit sloppy and I think that with some practice it can be easily improved. Maybe try painting such patterns on a scrap of paper before painting on a miniature? Maybe print such a grid first to learn painting this pattern with sharper edges? And then move to clear white paper and then to real models?

Or maybe it was your intention to make it look like crudely painted in the field? As far as I remember historical vehicles, some of their personal logos and decorations were not very neat as they were painted by untrained soldiers and not real painters. If you wanted to recreate such effect - you imitated it very well!

Metallics could be a bit smoother. Maybe use more layers of thinner paint? And them apply several layers of dilluted washes to shade them a bit?
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

I like your weathering, as Mahon said it looks quite realistic.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

You surely should've spent more time on basing these models :)
I like dirty look of these marines but You could add some more details to make them look even more realistic - blackened predator's barrels for example

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!