Bytom 2012

Golden Demons and all the other miniature painting competitions and events
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Bytom 2012

Post by Nameless »

IX International Festival of Plastic Scale Models Bytom 2012

that's a long name for an event :) my report might be shorter ;)
276 participants, 931 models. all the other information you will find in my last year report - Bytom 2011 report :)
has anything changed? the main difference was that tables were not lined but arranged in rectangular way - organisers had their people inside every such rectangle to protect models and check receipts while collecting models after the show - way to go!

few general thoughts instead of the full report

such a show is something totally different from what I (as a "fantasy" guy) am used to. historical modeller have dozens of categories to enter. My whole collection (well, almost whole) would go into one category - fantasy figures. no matter if sf or fantasy, 30mm or 200 mm, on foot or mounted... all go there. btw, I don't suggest taking 30mm scale to Bytom. not sure how this scale is treated at shows in your countries, here I had a feeling that even 54mm models are small :) there was a separate category for "fantasy models” – you could enter your dreadnought here, though star wars models were in majority anyway. maybe a "bust" or "vignette" category. and that's it.
painter with historical models could enter at least 8 categories: vignettes, busts, 54-75mm figure before AND after 1914, 90mm+ before AND after 1914, mounted figure 54-75mm AND 90mm+). there were also additional categories for figures of Polish soldiers :)

I believe they would have the same feeling at our "fantasy" events (at least with standard categories at Polish contests). their all models would go into 2 categories – large model (both figures and models) and dioramas. I wonder what format would be acceptable for both them and us...

see few selected pics below, and the whole gallery. quality is not outstanding, I had to fight with time, other visitors and lighting in the hall.

ImageClick to see full-sized image
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Re: Bytom 2012

Post by mahon »

Thanks for sharing. I would love to read a similar report but from a miniature painting contest as seen by a historical modeler ^^

I like the dioramas and stories they capture but can't resist the feeling that standards of painting are not comparable to what we're used to... Of course I am aware of many great Polish historical modelers and painters - but what you showed doesn't impress me that much.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

mahon wrote:I would love to read a similar report but from a miniature painting contest as seen by a historical modeler ^^.
me too! that would be really interesting!
I like the dioramas and stories they capture but can't resist the feeling that standards of painting are not comparable to what we're used to... Of course I am aware of many great Polish historical modelers and painters - but what you showed doesn't impress me that much
I have a similar feeling. they pay so much attention to "diorama" aspect of their entries, to small details (you know, like tools on a table), to basing, terrain, buildings, conversions... and painting on figures is almost always below that quality. what's interesting, it happens pretty often that buildings are painted much better than figures!
I wonder if such a work would be accepted:

not saying it wouldn't, just thinking...
great paintjob but not very realistic. fantasy style of painting, with strong contrast...

also, what surprises me (though this is something I noticed earlier, not only in Bytom) are paintjobs on busts - some people paint absolutely fantastic faces. great lighting, colour nuances, unshaved look, realistic eyes... at the same time other elements at the same time look like they have one layer only, no shading/highlighting, no nothing... it looks so odd to me sometimes, like there were 2 painters doing different parts of a bust.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

Besides your point Phil, what troubles me the most is that sometimes the scenery is better then the paint job it self, just look at the palm trees scenery really great but the tank is just well painted from what i see.
I think yoour point is a question of size many of the paint jobs some painters count on real shadows.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

keep the discussion going, guys, I am really curious what conclusions we can reach.
I wonder if such a work would be accepted:
Tankers of Brokeback Mountain? :think:
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

mahon wrote:Tankers of Brokeback Mountain? :think:
and their little tank... :D
Nameless Painter Blog