Finecast stories

All the stuff which didn't fit anywhere else
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Finecast stories

Post by Corvus »

A topic about Finecast in the Trashcan forum, how suitable!! :)

Anyway I've been reading a lot about Finecast lately. In fact I ordered my first Finecast figure and will be picking it up tomorrow. So I will write down my first hand experiences with Finecast very soon.

There's no way to find out how many percent of the Finecast figures is actually considered trash. You usually only find horror stories and pictures about seriously bubbled and malformed casts. Here and there (check the Warseer link below) you can read about people claiming to have received a "perfect cast", yet without any pictures.

Another claim is that new releases have better quality. Then why do you read stories about people complaining about the new Necrons? The Warseer thread has a story about a guy going to a GW store to hand pick a blister without any errors, but no one in the store wanted to buy one of the eight blisters in store because they all had obvious defects.

The only real positive point I have read about is the GW Customer Service. They make absolutely no hassle about replacing the model, just shoot them an email or give them a call and they replace your model. So I decided to order my Finecast through the official GW online store....

Another thing is the liquid greenstuff, which does its job very well. But I wouldn't consider this to be a big positive point because of the bad marketing by GW (releasing it right after Finecast).

The most valuable resource is probably this thread on Warseer: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298959. One of the guys there (Sgt John Keel) is now up to his fourth or fifth box of Sternguard Vetereans, and the same mistakes keep popping up.

ImageClick to see full-sized image

Another resource is the research project they did at Wayland, where they claimed that 50% of all blisters had visible errors. I've looked for the link, but it seems to be gone?

And finally Mathieu Fontaine (Akaranseth) bought the new Necron Lord. He's up to his 6th replacement now, none of them any good. There are some horrible pictures: complete parts missing, bent weapons, large bits of mold material left on the figure, bubbles, ...
Second article: http://www.akaranseth.com/blog/overlords-5-6-fail.htm

mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Re: Finecast stories

Post by mahon »

Corvus wrote:A topic about Finecast in the Trashcan forum, how suitable!! :)
:lol:

man, these pics are better than a horror movie!
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Corvus wrote: Here and there (check the Warseer link below) you can read about people claiming to have received a "perfect cast", yet without any pictures.
Bought 1 Failcast and 1 Finecast thing:
1. eldar Shadowseer - perfect quality, no mold lines, no gaps, I would say fantastic. I won't make any photos, because there is no need- it is a normal mini without mold lines. You have to trust me :P
2. orc on wyvern - terrible tail, as if 2 parts (top and bottom) weren't cast together. Other parts are ok, no gaps.
Last edited by sea.man on 17 Nov 2011, o 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

thank you for the feedback czlowiek.morze!

did you ask a replacement for the defective parts?
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

OMG your overlord is so much worse then mine, the one i got has lots of holes nothing that bad just the tubes in the belly have small missing tube part.

Besides that i have bought the Necron Catacomb Command Barge / Annihilation Barge and the overlord that comes with it is almost the same even in the details, so why the failcast??? :?
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

Pandadosmares wrote:OMG your overlord is so much worse then mine, the one i got has lots of holes nothing that bad just the tubes in the belly have small missing tube part.

Besides that i have bought the Necron Catacomb Command Barge / Annihilation Barge and the overlord that comes with it is almost the same even in the details, so why the failcast??? :?
It's not mine, the pictures are from the Akaranseth blog.

I will get my first finecast tomorrow, bought this mini:

I agree on the plastics, they are superior!
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

Found this review on Urien Rakarth a few weeks ago, looks like this guy got hold of a true finecast: http://thegoldend6.com/miscellaneous/ci ... ast-review
The Finecast Urien was crisp and incredibly detailed, but some of the arm attachments are a little brittle and had to be very carefully removed. Also, unlike some of the horror stories, there were no obvious blemishes apart from a couple of mould lines that were easily removed and the expected resin overcast as part of the manufacturing process.

I was really impressed by the level of detail in this model and really hope that Finecast is around for a while.

But what is obvious in this picture (and others on warseer) is that the sprue itself doesn't look straight, looks like the resin was still curing when it was removed from the mold...
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

more horror: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 71719.page

missing parts, "sponge" effect bubbles, and something not included in any picture yet: warping:

Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

So I picked up the package this morning (the Urien Rakarth I mentioned earlier). Only had a brief moment to study the model. At first glance everything looks ok. The cast is definitely very crisp, and mold lines seem under control. But a closer inspection reveals some bubbles here and there. I think I found 4 so far. Especially on the edge of a straight surface (like the mechanical joint of one of his arms) this will be very tough to fix. I'm thinking about asking for a replacement right away.

Tonight I will open the blister and inspect the back under good lighting conditions. I'll keep you all posted.
Angora

Post by Angora »

I grabbed one of the new Necron Lords the other day. He was pretty easy to clean up but I managed to snap a couple of delicate bits off when removing him from the sprue. There are several small bubbles in his cloak and the tubey bits under his ribcage are poorly formed much like above but a bit better.
Nothing I'm overly worried about.
The adcvantage is that, although one of the parts that broke has a VERY small surface are to re attatch it the small dab of Zap-A-Gap seems to be holding it solid. for all its faults Finecast is VERY easy to build the minis with.