Serraphim's Seaforge

Now Reactivated and Revolutionized!!
Serraphim

Re: Serraphim's Seaforge

Post by Serraphim »

Hellspawn wrote:Even with an intensive bath in Acetone, I had some metals minis that I couldn't get completely cleaned. The primer had been done too long ago and was melted with the metal itself and some part wouldn't go away. Sadly there isn't any real solution for that :(

How did they turn out once you started painting them? Was there any major issues I should watch out for? I'm gonna try the steel wool tonight and I have some fine grit sand paper for the flat areas. I'm mainly concerned with losing detail as the primer was kind of thick.
mahon wrote:whatever you do - be bold with it. being shy will result in boring miniatures.
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Well, I reprimed them, and no major details got lost. Of course, you need to be careful with the primer, but beside that, nothing to really worry about considering the color is melted in the metal. Although, my old primer coat was pretty thin which I guess helped
Serraphim

Post by Serraphim »

So I pretty much said fuck it last night and took them out of the acetone. They are currently soaking in some dish soap (wanna make sure all the acetone is gone). I also started working on the bases. I know I was going to do something more involved for the bases but looking at the minis, I've gone with a simple basing scheme.

I do have another question. I'm going to be trying the hairspray weathering technique on these and I want the "weathered" (bottom) layer to be metal. Would it be better to hand paint the metal over using an airbrush? I'm worried that the metal particles will cause an issue with the airbrush as this will be my first time using an airbrush.
mahon wrote:whatever you do - be bold with it. being shy will result in boring miniatures.
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

First time with airbrush you might want to avoid using metal paints :) It's not that hard or different, but considering that it'll be your first time, better try to work with normal paints first than metal ones cause the dillution isn't really the same
Serraphim

Post by Serraphim »

With a flurry of super glue and cork I started glueing and basing the Rhul last night (Not the best shot but I only have the camera on my phone)

ImageClick to see full-sized image

I have 1 Rockham, 2 Drillers, Brun, Lug, Jhonne and 4 Gun Bunnies left to put together.

@Hellspawn - What do you use to dilute the paints for your airbrush? I've heard windex a lot.
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

I'm using a mix of demineralised water and spray to wash the windows (the poorest/cheapest one that doesn't have any perfume nor any additives). 50/50 of each :)
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

how is it going?
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Serraphim

Post by Serraphim »

So finally got a chance to sit down and start working on these. Originally I was going to use the hairspray weathering technique on these to show some battle damage, but after trying it out on the Avalancher, I did not like the way that it looked. So I've gone back to parade ground ready. I might add some battle damage later, but I'm not sure.

P.S: I really need to buy this so that I can take better photos.
Serraphim

Post by Serraphim »

Just in from my girlfriend: Death by Cat!!

And the cat in question, who is aparently hiding under the bed. He knocked the desk lamp over, which made my desk explode.
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

It's not the cat to be blamed yet pretty weak pinning-fu-job :snooty:
:wink:

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!