sea.man`s Hell Dorado les Immortels

Now Reactivated and Revolutionized!!
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

sea.man`s Hell Dorado les Immortels

Post by sea.man »

With Saracens finished, now is time for me to move on to another Hell Dorado army. This project will be a bit different then the others, because:
  • I will try to paint all the miniatures at once
  • I want to make a tutorial, or better a raport how did I paint them and that is why I need your help
Please give me suggestions how to show, explain things better. Everything that could make such article interesting whien finished. Ask many questions, tell me ifI didn't explain something clearly.

I hope I will manage to upload some pictures until tomorrow.
Last edited by sea.man on 27 Apr 2012, o 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Re: sea.man`s Hell Dorado Immortels

Post by Hellspawn »

Regarding the tutorial, I don't think we'll need specific explanations on the "how to prepare a mini", I guess everyone knows that, BUT, if you did something special on one or more mini during the preparation, it might be a good thing to say it.

A group photo from the beginning and at various stage might be good, like, here there are all basecoated. I've been doing some work on the skin (specific shots on some minis of what you did with the skins if there are some details that might be worth showed). Ok, now here is a group photo with all minis with skin done. And so on and so on.
As for the colors, I think that P1per's tutorial for his Seamus is great, you might want to do that.

Also, what you could do while working on one step (example : the skin) is telling what color you used with what quantity if there are mixes etc and to take one model (preferably a common one with large areas to show progress) and do step by step pics (like it was done on the nmm tutorial some times ago (can't recall where it was).

Also, you could do a step by step for everything like, the skin, the armors/weapons, and why not the reptile scales some of the minis have or any particular details.

This might be long work and will required billions of photo, but hey, you asked for suggestions and this is what I would love to see in a tutorial for painting a warband :)
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

pfff, another army...
maniac...
:mrgreen:

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Finally some pictures! I have serious problems with uploading those, because of no computer at home, so I kind of illegally brought those on pen drive to work.

Welcome to the series of articles devoted to painting a war band. I will try to give you a step by step photo report. And the main actors will be Immortals from Asmodee/Cipher Studios:
ImageClick to see full-sized image
Last edited by sea.man on 27 Apr 2012, o 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
miniatures painted:
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Heheh, you're planning on painting the Mercenary (top right one) aswell?
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

yeah, paint all the minis that you can see here, all in one row :D
miniatures painted:
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: sea.man`s Hell Dorado les Immortels

Post by sea.man »

here comes the first part...

Stage 1 - know you models
So we spent few € or $, bought some cool looking models and it is time to have a good look what did you get. Maybe there are some parts missing? Maybe there are some miscasts?
If everything is ok, then now is the last call to have an idea how to paint the war band. What theme or background story? What color scheme? What units? What bases?
In my case the answers are no theme, original red-gold scheme, all units, Scibor bases. It makes putting such group easier when there is a clear idea in your head. I know I am not being original, but this is also a decision later to stick to ;)

So I take a good look at all the miniatures and put in separate piles. I try to, without glue, put these together and see if the parts match. Now is the perfect time to think about conversions and to look for extra parts in your bits box. If you found something there, just put it on the pile.
miniatures painted:
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Stage 2 - removing mould lines and putting models together

Those models are suppose to fight on the table and we all know what happens to them when transporting or falling over on the table. That is why I try to pin the parts together. Tools that I use:
the pins which will hold the parts together are done (or better cut) from paper clips:
There should be also a picture of super glue or any metal, that glues the metal parts in few seconds :)

A word about mould lines... I hate them! To clean them, takes a lot of time, but I see no other way. This job takes plenty of time, but it is simple. Believe me, it is worth to clean the miniatures from them. Later they will take a lot of the miniatures' beauty away. I spent 2 evening to clean all the parts from mould lines, but this job needs to be done - even on TT miniatures! Now, when all the parts are separate and easy to reach, it is the best time to remove them. Later it will won't be easier ;)

So lets move to some examples - this djin has be cleaned from mould lines and all the parts are together (so that I won't forget anything)
First I try to glue the biggest parts, in this case it is the torso. You can see on the picture a small cut from pater clip (called a pin) and two holes (drilled by me) in both parts of the torso. Before you glue - try to pin the parts without glue - if it's ok - put some glue on the parts and into the pinning holes. If not then maybe the pin is to long or the holes too small?
To be sure that you drill the holes in perfect positions on both parts, try this simple trick:
1. drill a hole in one part
2. put some paint around the hole
3. try both parts together (with your fingers, not glue)
4. remove the second part and you should see the exact place where to drill
and there we have, a finished cleaned and pinned djin

While removing mould lines from a 'froggy warrior' I accidentally broke the lance into two parts. It happens quite often, when the parts are small and fragile
so what did I do - first I finished removing all the mould lines:
and drilled holes in both parts and pinned them:

I also had a bit of problems with glueing the small parts with the torso, but with the help from pincette it was much easier. Here are the horns that are supposed to go on the shoulder pads:

I stick glued and pinned models together on cork. It makes further steps, like cleaning/gap filling/painting, much easier. You can easily rotate the cork and not touch the miniature. Another benefit is that when you clean the miniature (more to come), it won't get dirty or fatty from fingers.

At the end of this step we get something like this:
Last edited by sea.man on 19 Sep 2012, o 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
miniatures painted:
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Try to write an update here ;)

Stage 3 - preparing for painting

All miniatures are on cork, waiting to be painted. Before we go to this step, there are some more things to be done. Usually glued minis have gaps, holes that don't look nice. With these tools I will fill them:

Here is a mercenary djin with filled gaps.
I must admit, that using liquid green stuff from GW helps a lot. Filling small gaps isn't a problem, but sometimes the gaps are too big, just like here:
the best way is to use normal green stuff or any other putty.

Now we are almost ready with putting undercoat, almost... We were touching the miniatures with dirty hands and the miniatures need a wash, so that the undercoat spray will hold on the miniature better. It will also remove any fat or oils from manufacturing process. We just need an old tooth brush, soap and dish washing liquid.
Pour some hot water and gently wash the miniature. I didn't have any problems will super glue loosing it's characteristic because of water, so I can say it is safe!
miniatures painted:
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Stage 4 - priming
Give the miniatures a day or two to dry and now we can finally prime the miniatures. This time I have used the Tamiya grey primer:

The from a distance of 30cm I spray each miniature 3 times:
- from each side (vertically)
- from top (from each side)
- from below (from each side too)
I just hate when later there are some not covered places on a miniature and the paint doesn't stick.

And there you have it, now we can finally start to paint the Immortals. You may think and say that it is way too much for all those steps before painting. I think it is worth to spend 2-3 evenings longer to have no problems later.
miniatures painted: