Hellspawn's Salamanders

Now Reactivated and Revolutionized!!
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Re: Hellspawn's Salamanders

Post by Hellspawn »

So...What have I been doing so far?

Well, first of all, I did undercoat a few marines with Uniform Grey and Skull White and went with what I had planned, ie spray for shadows and spray for highlights.

With that done, on both groups, I airbrushed a green layer (Snot Green (called Warpstone Green now).

Then, I tried a couple of things: various washes, various glazes, etc (won't enumarate everything here cause it's too much useless info) which ended up into several results. Some of them nice, some of them ugly.

One of my test was standing out but even if it was close to what I was looking for, it still wasn't exactly it.

So I stepped back and had a look at GW "How to" painting guides. Yes, you read right, the guides made by the evil guys. And I'll tell you what. I tried the way they were doing things and I ended up with exactly what I was looking for: something simple.

I've modified a little bit the method used by GW to help the mass production and the results were still up to my expectations so I'm going to give it a try or more minis to see if the results would be the same on multiple minis and then I think I'll start doing the rest :)

As for pics, I could put some pics of the various colors I ended up with, but not sure if it would be useful.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

so, do you finally have the method?
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Nameless wrote:so, do you finally have the method?
I guess so yeah.
1 - Simple Skull White basecoat.
2 - One layer of Snot Green (Warpstone Green) done with the airbrush
3 - One recess wash of Thrakka Green (Biel-Tan Green)
4 - Edge Highlights with Scorpion Green (Moot Green)
5 - On wash of Waywatcher Green

I dropped the spray upside down of Chaos Black cause I couldn't see any difference with or without.

So yeah, no fancy shadows/highlights, but honestly, I can't be bothered with that and when I look at GW, they don't do that.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

where's the pic of a mini painted like this? :mrgreen:
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Nameless wrote:where's the pic of a mini painted like this? :mrgreen:
Well, I'll post one finished with the method, not gonna post the test batch ones :D So soon you'll have one :)
(and I hope it'll be a better one than usual cause I've found a nice tutorial on how to taje miniatures pictures that was made with the same camera than mine so it'll help I hope)
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

this one is for you ;)
ImageClick to see full-sized image
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Oh YES Panda, you don't even know how long i've been waiting for that one to be available :D Basically since they started doing specific versions I said: One day, there will be one for the Salamanders :D And here it is ^^
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

They are really cool, im still waiting for some imperial fist love (t seems they will do some torsos, crossing fingers for rogal :mrgreen: )
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Pandadosmares wrote:They are really cool, im still waiting for some imperial fist love (t seems they will do some torsos, crossing fingers for rogal :mrgreen: )
If I'm not wrong, the Imperial Fists got some rules in the book 3 for the HH so we might be able to see some love for them soon. As for Rogal, they've planned on releasing all of the Primarchs, so you'll get to see him. When is more the question :s. As for torso, they've started releasing some dedicated legion accessories like heads and torso so I have high hopes that they'll released some for the Salamanders and Imperial Fists as well.
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

I've been asked for a picture of a mini using the new method and here it is:

ImageClick to see full-sized image

This model was just to show the use of the new method, white parts are just there so that mini wouldn't be full green, but they won't be on the final mini.

As you can see, I posted it with a marine done using my old method to see the differences between both, although, since minis aren't at the same stage, it might be difficult to really say which one looks better.

I'll post a picture of both once the new version will be finished.

Sidenote: I, At last, managed to take a very nice picture. Colors showed are as they are supposed to be on both of the miniatures.