Tale of ? gamers - brainstorming

Now Reactivated and Revolutionized!!
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: Tale of ? gamers!

Post by sea.man »

The technical organisation you are proposing Phil is good.
We would need to make a commitment, like during Mini Exchange here.

The Tale of Fantasy Painters
Rules from Warseer forum http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242951
What is it all about?

Do you want to paint a 2000 point army in the next 12 months?
Do you want to meet a great bunch, with the same goal who will encourage and support you throughout the process?
Can you do the same in return?
Are you completely bonkers?
Then you have come to the right place!

The aim of The Tale of Painters (TOP) is to help motivate those involved to start and complete an army in the next twelve months.

We made a decision early on to split the Tale into two separate 'halves' one for 40K and one for Fantasy. They have continued to evolve in slightly different ways but this is how the Fantasy Tale works.

The painters involved have made a commitment to paint and post, by the last day of each month, approx 200 points of their chosen army. They do this each month for the next 12 months. Starting with their first post on the last day of August 2009 and finishing with their last post on the last day of July 2010.

However, because people have real lives with exams, holidays, honeymoons, new babies etc, etc. They get two 'Jokers'. For two months within the year you can ‘play a joker’ and rather than post an update they can post "sorry guys couldn't get it done this month. Real life got in the way." But the other 10 Months they have to come up with (approx) 200 points of painted and based figures. That is 200 points for 10 of the next 12 months.

At the end of each month a new thread will appear for the painters to post your previous months painting.

In twelve months time we will all end up with a finished 2000 point army.
(Or at least everyone who can see it through to the end ... it's harder than you think!)

Q : Can I paint more than 200 points in a month?
A : Yes (we are not here to tell you how and when to paint your stuff, it is great to get ahead) BUT we would like you only to post 200 points (approx) each month and try to stay roughly on track with 200 points a month (200 points in month 1, 400 points by month 2, 600 points by month 3, etc.) so as not to depress the hell out of those of us who are struggling to keep up.

Q : Can I paint less than 200 points in a month?
A : Yes. But we try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example oif you only painted 100 points one month you could try and get 300 points painted the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : What happens when I paint an expensive character?
A : This happens a lot. If your character was over 400 points you would simply paint him over two months (the sort of time your general deserves!) So You start posting him one month and post nothing the first month (unless you want to post WIP) then the second month you post the finished model and all the points get added on.

Q : Can I include a short narrative with each months post.
A : Yes. Write much as you like. We love background. write as much as you like it will be read and enjoyed by many.
200 pts. seems to be too much for me + not in all war game systems 200 points are equal, but it keeps motivating people to paint minis for a whole year.
We can think of something similar.
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

I don't want any commitments, rules, restrictions...
the more "open" it is, the better :)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
jimbob1066e

Post by jimbob1066e »

Howdy

Perhaps push for 'suggested timeline' as opposed to 'required timeline'. (for me it would mean I could spend a month clipping, cleaning, basic baseing, modifing etc a huge chunk of figures, especially rank and file for horde armies. Then I could paint the next month...) As long as you were documenting your goals it would have the same result.

And if you do have a dated timeline, then I would have to prepare before the thread starts, as for about five months a year it is unwise to prime my figures (below freezing temperatures - hahhahaah).

No complaints here, just adding to the subtlties - hee hee.

peace - jimbob1066e
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

I think that if there are no commitments or rules, then it won`t work as tale of gamers. It would be simple posting pictures in a new thread.
Don`t we want to make something special?
Maybe it could attract some new people to the forum?
miniatures painted:
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

there already was ToG here with strict rules. You might want to search for results.
something special? no, not really. not every project needs to be special. I only want to get some motivation to paint an army.

Additional rules you posted apply to GW games specifically. We want to paint not only wfb/40k armies, but get armies AND warbands for other games also. How do you want to compare 40k army with warmachine band or helldorado group and make rules to cover these different projects?
I don't see a way (and reasons to find a way too), but feel free to make me change my mind.

Any other specific rules/commitments you'd like to introduce?
Nameless Painter Blog
sgr

Post by sgr »

Whats about smaller minis? For example 15mm FoW army.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

fine for me.
Nameless Painter Blog
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

Im with Nameless on this one, I have armies and warbands but i think most painters would only want to do something of a warband size, since an army is a huge committment in time. The less restrictions/stipulations etc the better.

As Seaman said, ToG only truly works with rules but also remember the original TOG the whole task was to get an army for gamers.
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Nameless wrote:there already was ToG here with strict rules. You might want to search for results.
something special? no, not really. not every project needs to be special.
Special or not, it would be something new from simple posting pictures.
Nameless wrote: I only want to get some motivation to paint an army.
Making commitments motivates me to finish them :-)
Nameless wrote: Additional rules you posted apply to GW games specifically. We want to paint not only wfb/40k armies, but get armies AND warbands for other games also. How do you want to compare 40k army with warmachine band or helldorado group and make rules to cover these different projects?
I don't see a way (and reasons to find a way too), but feel free to make me change my mind.
I gave those rules as an example, I didn`t say we have to use them! The give a feeling how it works on other forums and to keep here the discussion running :-)
Points are not relevant form systems to each other, that is sure. But If we look at those numbers as % then it makes sens ;-)
For WfB 2000pts are enough to create an army to be proud of. Assuming you use 2 jokers, each month you paint 10% of the whole army.
If you war painting a warband, how many points do you need to play a game? That many points divide by 10 and we have a number of points you can paint each month.
As I understand it, even by smaller skirmish games (Anima Tactics), if you paint one mini a month at the end of the ear you have a whole band to play.

Those are only ideas for the general discussion :-D
miniatures painted:
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

czlowiek.morze wrote:Special or not, it would be something new from simple posting pictures.
a separate forum part with ToG thread would be enough for me.
Making commitments motivates me to finish them :-)
noone will forbid you making your own commitments. I just don't think that making any strict rule will help us with anything.
if you want, you can use rules you posted for your own thread. why not, if you think it would help you.
I gave those rules as an example, I didn`t say we have to use them!
give me something speficic which would relate to characteristic of our forum, and we can discuss about it.
for now - I don't see any reason to introduce 'commitments' to rules. Previous ToG proved this is not the way to make people paint their armies.
Assuming you use 2 jokers, each month you paint 10% of the whole army.
Anima Tactics, or Deathmatch Arena (AoW game) require just a few minis per side. so, 10% of my army would be arms and legs of one mini :lol:
what if somebody wants to paint 2 armies (2 warbands, army+warband...)?
Considering chatracteristic of our forum and its members, I really do think it would be enough if we just allowed participants to make their own plans and commitments.
Let's say that every participant would describe his/her painting schedule, plans or goals in the first post of every thread.
Those are only ideas for the general discussion :-D
I appreciate them
Nameless Painter Blog