warmachine army lists

Do you still remember that some people use miniatures for gaming?
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

warmachine army lists

Post by Demi_morgana »

I don't have too many wm players in neighbourhood (to be honest I know only one and he is devoted proxer... :? ) so I have no opportunity to exchange experiences; I want to avoid buying minis useless for my battlegroup so I'll be grateful for comments and opinions about armylists here...

so here's first army list it the topic: 500pts cryx:
-iron lich asphyxious
-slayer
-2x deathripper
-defiler
-6x mcthrall
-6x bile thrall
-skarlock
-2x pistol wraith
-gorman

total 499pts; I think smal amount of arc nodes may be a problem but I simply cannot opt out slayer to get 110 points more :)
any comments?

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
ToMaZ
Expects too much, too

RE: warmachine army lists

Post by ToMaZ »

well I would drop the slayer to be honest. sure he can hit hard, but he dies pretty fast too in my experience... or let's say my regular opponents experience :P
Max out the unit of bile thralls to 10 (purge is pretty brutal against infantry masses ). And try to get one more chicken. Arc nodes are the lich best friend, and the more you have, the easier you can set up the kill.
I don't really see the use of mechanithralls in this list, they can wreck a warjack up good, but if the opponent has a ranged unit (like khadoran widowmakers or cygnarian longgunners), they'll be gone pretty fast.
Skarlock is good, and the two pistolwraiths are almost a must with the lich.

Gorman.. I'm not sure, he has his uses, but he's a living model, so he'll die is he's in the lich's control area once you pop his feat. He has stealth, so any any attacks over 5" away will auto-miss. The bombs are very cool, but his range is 6"... and his RAT is bad. So if you miss with one of your bombs, Gorman is dead. because of the scatter effect, or because your opponent smacks him. He can trow a bomb, before moving but that's not always easy to set up. Then again, he can set up warjacks for the kill with rust... prevent LOS with his smoke...
Well, you can keep him, but play him carefully, if even the weakest attack against him hits, he's dead.

hope it helps
---ToMaZ---

Try honesty...
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: RE: warmachine army lists

Post by Demi_morgana »

ToMaZ wrote:Max out the unit of bile thralls to 10 (purge is pretty brutal against infantry masses ). And try to get one more chicken. Arc nodes are the lich best friend, and the more you have, the easier you can set up the kill.

I've read it several times: large amount of nodes is backbone of lich's battlegroup... I want to purchase 2 rippers more but want to avoid army based almost only on arc nodes... it's boring :(
I'm considering adding another 6-men squad of biles or mechanithralls in future...
ToMaZ wrote:I don't really see the use of mechanithralls in this list, they can wreck a warjack up good, but if the opponent has a ranged unit (like khadoran widowmakers or cygnarian longgunners), they'll be gone pretty fast.
mechanithralls are cheap so I think small squad of them can distract opponents attention from the rest of my steam deaders 8)
ToMaZ wrote:Gorman.. I'm not sure...
I know - he's a living wimp but I thought I could use him to hide skarlock or warcaster behind smoke clouds...

:curtain: btw - do You have any concept of battlegroup where heavy jacks could be use effectively? :think: with terminus maybe?

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
ToMaZ
Expects too much, too

RE: Re: RE: warmachine army lists

Post by ToMaZ »

if you want to go with heavy jacks, I'd suggest goreshade. He's really nice with a seether, and can handle the deathjack good too :) Goreshade is one mean SOB... terminus can't work with a seether or deathjack because of his mediocre command. you need to take command tests with those jacks, and if you fail, they charge what they see. The seether can be turned away from your army, but the deathjack has a 360° view and therefor als 360° charge direction ^^

Denny can handle heavy jacks too, the witch coven makes the deathjack twice as dangerous (if played well).
but to be honest, I think that goreshade is the best for a jack army.
---ToMaZ---

Try honesty...
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: RE: Re: RE: warmachine army lists

Post by Demi_morgana »

goreshade is cool... but atm I can't afford spending cash on bane thralls so I could use his feat :(

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
ToMaZ
Expects too much, too

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: warmachine army lists

Post by ToMaZ »

well, your game shouldn't be centered around your feat. I hardly use my feats. I only use them in rare occasions when stuff are really going south for my army :) But I can understand your point, as building a 500 pts force, and then summon a unit of banethralls extra in the game...
---ToMaZ---

Try honesty...
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: warmachine army lists

Post by Demi_morgana »

ToMaZ wrote:I hardly use my feats. I only use them in rare occasions when stuff are really going south for my army :)
well... I play ion lich and it never happened I didn't use my super-feat! :razz:

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: warmachine army lists

Post by Demi_morgana »

here's armylist I use recently
it's for 400pts only... because I have no more minis :oops: (the goddamn distributor failed! :x )
I've notoced arc nodes combined with lich's magic work really well; unfortunatelly problems starts when the opponent makes himself immune to my spells (menoth choirs + clouds which prevent me from casting); today I managed to run into such cloud with deathripper and cast 5x breath of corruption! :D I won... but it was really close... :pale:

-lich
-slayer
-3x deathrippers
-6x mechanithralls
-6x bile thralls
-skarlock

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!