chain sword help

You need inspiration, ideas? Not a WIP yet but still in a concept stage? Come here!
bodie

chain sword help

Post by bodie »

Ok i'm painting a space wolf army and my blood claw units are running around with no chainswords in their hands cause i can't seem to paint them to look very nice. its just table top quality but very nice table top quality. colors are shadow grey base(GW) black lined and then lined with space wolf grey(gw) shoulder pads are red and yellow(slash markings from codex) picks would be the best way to help me out, im looking for somthing nice doesn't have to be table top it can be harder to paint. thanks in advance, hope you guys can help me out.
P.S i'll try and get some pics up asap.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

RE: chain sword help

Post by mahon »

I think black/yellow stripes always look good on chainswords:

ImageClick to see full-sized image
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
LittleDave

RE: chain sword help

Post by LittleDave »

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you looking for bits to use as chainswords? What don't you like about Games Workshop chainswords?

I agree with Mahon's suggestion. Could also go with a neutral color if that makes the figure too busy.
bodie

Post by bodie »

NO NO i was looking for ideas on painting it, as i dont want the average table top mini that just drybrushed boltgun metal w/ a little black wash and called it done. i was looking s=for somthing a little nicer.I don't know mahon it kinda looks like a caution sign....loli tried doing a NMM but it looked funny cause the mini has metalic paint already on it so im at a loss here.
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: RE: chain sword help

Post by Demi_morgana »

mahon wrote:I think black/yellow stripes always look good on chainswords
especialy on models from necromunda range!

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

RE: Re: RE: chain sword help

Post by mahon »

naaah. if you don't want to decorate it with a freehand there's not much which can be done to make it more than just flat color

I think that one doesn't paint a sword, kniwing it would get bloody, dirty, and the paint will peel/chip off.

if you want it to make it more interesting you can splatter some blood (tamiya clear red + a little black) or paint the paint in a chipped way. check the tutorial about it :)

I liked the oldschool way of painting it in the warning sign way. as Demi said - just smells necromunda to me :)
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

RE: Re: RE: chain sword help

Post by Skrit »

Otherwise maybe some runic pattern would look nice.