Sahatiel's Khador WIP

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
Sahatiel

Sahatiel's Khador WIP

Post by Sahatiel »

Hi Everyone! Long time no post! After a fairly long hiatus, due to medical issues, I am back and painting. I think I have improved since my last visit, and I have to get around to posting some of my more recently completed works, however in the mean time, I would like to get some feedback on my latest work in progress.

I am currently painting up a Privateer Press Khador Battlebox as part of the requirements to becoming a Press Ganger. Below are photos of the Sorscha model that I'm currently working on. I can't decide if I'm happy with it or not (technique wise). Sometimes I'll pick it up and love it, other times I'll hate it, so some other opinions would be much appreciated. So far I've done the armour (minus rivots), cloak and face. I know there are some orange parts on the grey that need cleaning up, but I'm holding off on that until I decide if I'm starting over or continuing on.

So without any further ado, here are the photos:

Image Image

Image Image

And one from a little further away:

Any feedback/opinions would be great!
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: Sahatiel's Khador WIP

Post by sea.man »

I can see that you have a problem with grainy surface. Was a miniature like that or is it the primer? What brand do you use?
What paints do you paint with?
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Sahatiel

Post by Sahatiel »

I think the grainy surface is caused by the primer. I've always used the same primer, and the consistency hasn't changed from can to can, so I thought all white primers were a little... rough. I prime with Citadel's Skull White, and paint with Formula P3 colours.
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

For me although the surface is slightly grainy, i would prefer to see more distinct separation of individual items. More shadows would help this and give your model the much needed contrast to make it pop. Interesting concept on using yellow which is a nice change actually :) good job !
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

GW primers tend to be popular but actualy quite shity ..
i prefere car primers or artistic primers or fine grade of primers designed for car / plain models (tamia , Model master end so on ) (they got at last 3 degree of how primer is granulated)

about painting - Dark linking betwen blueend Yellow - will kelp alot ,
blue armor - add direct thiny spots of white paint (piure white) - to imitate bliks of light on polished surface
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
Sahatiel

Post by Sahatiel »

Thanks for the feedback. I use the citadel spray mostly because apart from the Army Painter range, that's about all I can get easily, and I didn't really like the Army Painter one when I tried it.

I do intend on darklining the model a once I've cleaned up the paint job a bit. I hadn't thought of the white, though, so I'll give that a go. I hope to make a fair bit of progress today, so I'll post more wip pictures later. :-)
Sahatiel

Post by Sahatiel »

So I went ahead and finished the model. My first real attempt at dark lining and free hand:

Feedback would be appreciated.

I'm currently base-coating my 'jacks and will take photos later for reference (the photos of Sorscha were taken earlier in the day).
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

lol base is better then mini :)
Dark linking bit raw but works - try to keep it thiner
so Yellow turn to be actualy orange - good as Yellow + Blue = Green , but Orange + Blue = brown

metaliks - good idea after washing is to direct rehighlights

end ther whas 1 thing i whanted sugestrom beggining - face :)
mix colors in to it
like on this one painted by "Przemas" Jeske
ImageClick to see full-sized image
thats actualy wasy - just mix red with base skin color end build up rosy effect :) glaze by glaze
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/