I Want to Improve My Painting

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Re: I Want to Improve My Painting

Post by mahon »

fantastic smoothness. you made a huge improvement on this field :clap:
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

pretty good job on the cloak!
huitzilopochtli

Post by huitzilopochtli »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm very pleased with how it's coming out. Here's another update with basecoats on some parts and more grey done.

Having trouble with my colour scheme. I wanted something military - dull, dark and cold - grey, blue-grey, green-grey, black, dark silvery metal, but I think the detail on the chest would be very boring if I just do it metal. Any suggestions for colour?
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

I'd very much like to improve my ability and I'm hoping here I'll have the chance to do that. I'm going to be entering in the UK golden demon this year and want to come home having made the first cut or two at least
i quoted somthing from 1 page

end answer is :
yes with that you have chances for the first cut wnd with good base end nice finish iven higher

about you question of collor .. i will not answer it - bettr get answer from Mahon or sombody who know how GD is judged - as this competicion got strict rules not writen in the official ones that applay to "how things have to be painted" end this cnowlege mey help you a lot :)
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

going for a GD, especially GD UK you have to bear in mind the 'fluff', the background stories, the universe of Warhammer/40k.

I believe that good color composition (somethnig that looks good, maybe play with a color wheel?) will always be a good choice as long as it fits well into the GW universe.

make the model too dark and too monotoneous and you're risking going unnoticed during the first cuts. remember there will be many entries competing for the attention of judges. you need to steal it first and then keep it with good details and precise execution.

if you want to keep the palette limited and colors muted, you'd better use some strong chiaroscuro or other attention-catching detail to save your mini from being unnoticed.
-- Mahoń

huitzilopochtli

Thanks Maru for that generous compliment and much-appreciated encouragement. Quoting something else from the first page, however:
Maru wrote: so sumarize - you need a Competicion lvl (GW standards *)
end in strict time ..
I like to think I've improved since then, but you were right in your assessment that a competition standard in 6(?) months was pushing it. I will not be entering anything this year. I've learned a lot but I think more time working on my technique would benefit me more than entering golden demon. I'd rather wait another year and achieve my goals than mess it up this time round and lose heart.

@mahon - thank you for the advice on getting noticed. I will do my best to incoporate it into my models.

As ever, I look forward to any comments. And thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread.

mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

the cloak is great. highlight the face more to make it a focal point.
-- Mahoń

Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

smooth, clean, but I don't really colours.
Cloak is grey - not a standard colour for cloak material :) also, face is very zombyish.
of course, colours are usually very subjective issue, so don't worry about my nitpicking ;)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

yup Face need Paint end colors a now is Zombish ..end murmers "....PaaaaainTT ...." :)
iven if you dont whana exhibit enything on GD - just go ther end wach - end what iven more importrnt - if you c sombodys work that you like - get the autor end ask him about tech end details :)

ATM - focal point - red seal on blue power claw - wrong it should be on main part of mini - like face or crst on chest armor
- why - thats the way how human eye react - if "key" part is somwer on the border of mini judges will look only on that end ignore mini itself - but if focal point is "inside" mini they will need to look at whole mini :)
end dont forgetthat good mini should be on god base - as bese is theoreticly not teaken in to account by judges as composicion end colors are .. same as over all "feel"
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
huitzilopochtli

Thanks again for the feedback. I've added highlights to the face but kept the unhealthy pallor. I like the zombie-ish effect. :) I've also removed the red seal - it was stealing focus.

Any suggestions on how to make the red eyepiece glow? The base... I haven't so much experience with bases. Any general info you can give on that would be much appreciated.