I Want to Improve My Painting

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Re: I Want to Improve My Painting

Post by Maru »

i actualy sux at bases - i do to much to simple 1 on commision to be a good advisor on that mater i will gave a Mahon , Namless , Sławol or Marta to answer on this field :)

but about red glowy eye i mey help:) - you need to paint it white at beggining actualy , then on bright yellow , then with red ink (best with ink .. if ther is no ink - end i mean ink not wash nor Ball red)cover almoust whole area leving thini area atthe botom , then add darker volor end go up creating "shadow" then a dot of white on top end a osl in the area using yellow nixed with red ink ..
actualy it looks limilarto how Ana painted lava ...
http://paintingmum.blogspot.com/2011/09 ... orial.html
just difrent scale
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

eye - try finding OSL or painting gems tutorials :)

base - first of all, avoid empty spaces. visible plastic surface is not looking good. finer sand would also look better and more realistic in this scale. try to break monotony - introduce some colours and build the base up. some plants in muted green/yellow/brown colours might look good here.
finally, try not to over-do the base. it's small, so you can't do everything there... unless you want to put the mini on the bigger showcase base.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
huitzilopochtli

Post by huitzilopochtli »

Here's what I've been working on lately.

I'm very happy with the front of the model but the cloak... I don't know what I did to it. It's coming out chalky, streaky, basically horrible when I try to work in the brighter colours. Any tips how to fix this?

C&C always appreciated.

H
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

front of his clothese is excellent. huge improvement in lighting and smoothness.
now about your problem - you may help it a bit with glazing over the surface, which always unifies and smoothes things to some degree. or try a different brand of paints. maybe the ones you're using are not the best choice for you?
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

end actualy do it in revers - dont highlight from dark to brighrt but shade from bright to dark
- dark paints got finer pigmentacion in them :)
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

I will only add that the gems look super!
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
huitzilopochtli

Many thanks guys. I applied your advice Maru and mahon and I'm happier with the result, but I will have to work on it more. And thank you czlowiek.morze. :mrgreen: Always nice to get a compliment.

Just wanted to add that I have started a thread in the showcase section so you can see my finished pieces there. Your C&C is always appreciated!
WarlikeRogue

Post by WarlikeRogue »

I have to say huitzilopochtli I have just read through this thread and you really have improved. It's very heartening for people like me who are trying to improve to see someone else do so.

Keep up the amazing work.
huitzilopochtli

Sorry to disappoint if you were looking for new photos. I haven't painted much worth showing lately but there will be more.... eventually. ;)

I actually have a question I was hoping some of you lovely people could shed some light on. I've been doing a little commission work (mostly for a friend) and have been asked for an estimate of how much it'd cost to have an entire dreadfleet painted. I'd be doing it to a good tabletop standard for a local gaming club and I simply don't know how much to charge. Can anyone with a little more experience painting for money please help?
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

charge the amount you find appropriate :)
there's so many issues to consider that it's impossible to give you any specific advice... what quality level? painting for friends, people you know and game with? do you want to paint dreadfleet at all? how much time will you spend on this?
it all comes to your personal view on what would be rewarding for you.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================